What was your best childhood Christmas ?

robothut

Born way before  the robots. Didn't know Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon existed until I read a neighbor's Big Little books in 1954. That started my lifetime with science fi;ction.

phil shootem.jpg

phil and mom.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Kirk

• Robotnut

• Morbius

• robothut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, David, Dirk, Morbius and the rest of you guys have brought back such wonderful memories of Christmas Past.

Eagle, your story of Christmas charity is something we often forget in today's fast paced world.

Wonderful collection of of toys for the less fortunate. The NUN doll brings back some happy and not so happy Catholic school days for me 😉

Hers' one that Morbius will remember...

I have a bunch of such Christmas pictures that were graciously provided by some past and present Alaphadromers.

Enjoy at the link below and make sure to scroll down to the bottom to see them.

Each thumb nail will bring you to a bunch of great vintage pics from those who provided them...

http://www.robotnut.com/rooms.htm

yak.jpg

Nice family photos. The plastic struck me a second as toys being sold Today.....Weird...The Big robot with the baseball cap  

looks something like the one Robothut had demo'd a few months ago.

I spotted a Robot Combat at my local Walmart......and a skateboard robot image....I don't have any Christmas images.

Robot Combat.jpg

SkateBot r.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's hard to believe that this picture of my daughter and her collection is now 20 years old !

Boy I'm getting old...

Halley's Robots.jpg

I never got a robot or spacetoy but the Vertibird was my big wish in I think around 1972. I broke it and got another the next year.

Eagle - did you notice the Renwal space helmet in your picture?

__57.jpg

I had that Vertibird too !!!  It was AWESOME !!! I was 9 years old- Those suckers go for 300-500 dollars nowadays-Wow !

Don, I also got a Vertibird, Christmas 73. I was 8 years old and it didn't end well. Our family was out very late visiting on Christmas eve. We got home after midnight and convinced my parents to let us open our gifts, as it was now Christmas after all. At around 2am, I put the Vertibird together WRONG !!! It ran for about a minute and the fine steel wire broke. It's been 50 years and I remember, like a movie, exactly what I did wrong. You had to bring the fine steel wire through the side of the copter and thread it on to the spring that connected to the blade. Instead of bringing it through the side, I brought it in between the ski and the body side. My mom said no big deal. She was the manager of the department store and she would just get me another one. Unfortunately, there was a problem. Vertibirds were so hot, that they were all sold out and wouldn't be back in stock until Easter. Instead, she got me Rockem Sockem Robots. A great toy, but not a Vertibird 😥

Rockem-sockem.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, robothut said:

Look at the line up batteries in David's pictures. Wow that would have been amazing for me back then.

robots1963.JPG.7c773702eb730ba7f6f728e6f86022e1.jpg

what are those robots in the middle of the first row (triangular bodies) ??? I have never seen them before! Very cool !!!

Those are Egbert, the exploding robot by Multiple Toymakers. I got those at some dime store that no longer exists - There's still a label on the backing cards - I think it was McCrory's. There's a little spring loaded lever underneath. You pull it over to load it and then a little touch makes it spring and the whole thing flies to pieces. I've still got those, and I've found one or two more in different colors since. There's another version that's the same robots with styrofoam bowling balls to knock them down. I've got a picture somewhere. Now I remember - it's sock a robot and here's a picture.

sock a robot.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, robothut said:

Look at the line up batteries in David's pictures. Wow that would have been amazing for me back then.

robots1963.JPG.7c773702eb730ba7f6f728e6f86022e1.jpg

what are those robots in the middle of the first row (triangular bodies) ??? I have never seen them before!

Those are very cool!  Thank you for your response and all the information-I am going to start looking for one of those!

My carded Egbert is buried somewhere but there is one on the database. I can't seem to get a jpeg of it that I can post.

David, I see a hint of False Advertising...

It says, "With Harmless Foam Balls". How can they be "Harmless", if they can take out an army of Robots ??? 😎