What was your best childhood Christmas ?

robothut

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Kirk

• Robotnut

• Morbius

• robothut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The robots I remember having, in order I had them.  A blue Robby the Robot which had eraser-red rubber hands.  The Robot Commando.  The Attacking Martian Robot in gold (copper?).  The "Lost In Space" Robot.

David.

That's a very nice episode John! In 1963 or 1964 I remember getting a nice tin toy like that. Its dome lit up the darkened Christmas room, moving around the entire Christmas tree with mystery bump n go action and making a melodious whistling noise! Yes, now you think it was my first Giant Sonic Train robot; but alas, it was just this boring thing... 

TM Masudaya Toy

It's odd how rare a giant sonic robot is and how common these trains. You'd think the robot would have been so popular, but there must be a thousand of these locomotives for every robot. I shopped for robots nearly every day of the year through my childhood and I never once saw any of the gang of five in shops or in catalogs. 

1 hour ago, robothut said:

All the makings of a Sonic robot Dirk. Bump and go, whistling, light and lots of tin. 

Yes I know John. And I remember that western loco had a nice amazing effect too. But I probably would have preferred the robot. However, I suspect that the Train Robot could not be bought in Germany; I guess most of them had been sold in the USA. My mother worked for a large department store chain in the early 60's and she would have remembered robots like that.

The locomotive, on the other hand, was a real hit for the Masudaya company; they've built infinite numbers of them.

My favorite Christmas was 1962. Television Spaceman, Mr. Robot (which I'm about to open) and a silver printed Sparky. I had also recently convinced my grandmother to buy me Chief Robot Man at Newberry's, just after Thanksgiving and had found Mr. Atomic at my Lazarus, my local department store for $2.99. I have a tape recording of my squealing delight as I opened each robot. 1963 was great too, as evidenced in the next picture.

1962 xmas2.jpg

I recall this 1960 Christmas very well, I was 3 (little guy).  The Rubber Handed windup black Planet Robot is wrapped in the tin trailer in last pic.  He's hiding behind the yellow tractor.  Lots of sharp tin, was a fun one for sure!  A couple of years later I found the remote blue Planet Robot with rubber hands under the tree.

Planet Robot 1960 christmas.jpg

Christ2.jpg

Slide 1032.jpg

5 hours ago, David Kirk said:

Christmas 1963 I got the Engine robot, or is it Machine Robot? and the Atom Rocket 7. All the others were from up to Christmas 1963.

You did very well, David!  Wonderful!

18 hours ago, Krel said:

The robots I remember having, in order I had them.  A blue Robby the Robot which had eraser-red rubber hands.  The Robot Commando.  The Attacking Martian Robot in gold (copper?).  The "Lost In Space" Robot.

David.

Had 2 of them.  Windup black in 1960 and blue remote version around 1963.  I used those fingers as missiles, bend 'em back and off they went.  6 shots are all I could do with each of them.  Fun times!   I asked for the LIS robot in '68, I got  Zerak and and Zintar Zeroids instead. I was happy.

I never got a robot from Santa. I think Santa knew it would be torn apart with a butter knife. The best part of Christmas was rebuilding toys with my Gramps for other kids. We delivered them to families on Christmas eve. For yrs I thought Santa's toy shop was at the Moose. 🚀

Grandpa1 1.jpg