In the Presence of Giants

Kanaan

This past weekend, I was a panelist at the Philadelphia Science Fiction Convention (Philcon).

One of the highlights of the con occurred when Nebula-award winner Michael Swanwick invited me to his home in Philly for a small after party. I grew up in the section of the city where he has lived for decades but never knew it until we connected on Facebook three years ago. While there, I was honored yet again to meet Samuel R. "Chip" Delaney, a Science Fiction Writers Association Grand Master (among many other awards). Michael and Chip are legends in SF literature and for two and a half hours on Sunday evening, I was in the presence of giants much in the same way as when I met another literary hero, Harlan Ellison, back in 1999. It was a marvelous evening and before I left, Michael and his wife invited me back next year. "You're always welcome here." What a night!

Michael Swanwick.jpg

Chip Delaney.jpg

I'm not familar with Michael Swanwick...But then again----there's only a zillion books & authors out there.🤔

I would be just as honored as well to meet a Sci Fi writer I enjoyed. I only know a handful and they're not with us anymore.

Glad you had a great time. That's what life is about.

• 2 weeks later...