Pressing Sheet metal

Eagle

John's Presentation pressing Robbie , flooded me with memories. On a larger scale. I was part of the Flight Test program at Fairchild on the A-10 Warthog ..One night I took an hour and walked thru the Factory . One million Sq Ft of massive machine stamping out the fuselage and wing components.  The precise end results were overwhelming. It was about 2 yrs before the first handheld VCR cameras , I couldn't have taken footage anyhow. Highly restricted area.  The highlight was to taxi the aircraft to the Gun Range and sight in the GAU-8 at 1000 yrds. That 30 mil would spit out shells at 4000 rounds a minute. To prevent emptying the gun in seconds you would reach up to the HUD and select [Rounds Limit].  That would limit the rounds fired every time the trigger was pulled. I'd select 3 rounds for a good group. The plane had to be tied down as the recoil was 20,000 lbs. Every time you pulled the trigger , you couldn't read the instruments and your feet would dance on the Rudder pedals. It was fascinating time. Anyhow this is a great video of the same process as John showed on a grand scale. 80 Yrs ago. Enjoy. 

Fantastic work. The sailors stretching the Plexiglass for the Tail Gunner ball reminds me of John's article (somewhere here)

on his making the Dome for Robbie the Robot.

I had a neighbor who worked on metal Dairy Milk trucks, repairs, modifications during the 1960's, 70's.

Pounding inside the tanks, he lost a bit of his hearing over his career.

Those sailors took some chances looking at their work practices on stamping sheet metal ( not wearing gloves at some point.)

and molten lead. I wish America could return to such crafts instead of farming the work out to Industrial contracts with Raytheon, Lockheed/Martin, etc.

First thing I thought of also,,John building the dome.  I like the part where the show the plexiglass tail gunner position and the narrator says,it can deflect light flak ! HA,,light flak .

I grew up around the Steel Mills. My Grandfather was an engineer and draftsman for ARMCO steel.Him taking me thru the blast furnace and machine shops was amazing for a 8 yr old.  He also repaired toys at Christmas and we would take them out to deliver to poor families on Christmas Eve. It was the best part of Christmas. During the War they used Gramps photo for war bond drives. He was a gnarly dude.  

313967848_10224405940711049_6843791543941576989_n.jpg

314699133_10224405940191036_2308521703052766482_n.jpg

That's a cool story, Eagle. Great photographs. Your Gramp surely was on another level.

Must have been a cool time to be alive...I also like World War II aircraft, videos.

Glad you have those family heirlooms posted here, thanks for sharing !😀