Tried out Robothut's Rudy the Robot build

Golddalek

Thanks AlphaDromers......spent too much time on this Robot... filing, adjusting rod length, ( found it works best if you have barely enough gap to activate magnet)

which was another trial and error deal....ended up using 3 ( sandwiched between the contacter plate  ).

Then even replaced motor with a 1.5v version, it was running too fast, it would turn to the side....So I put the old 3v one back in.

Tried  a switching voltage regulator for +1.8v, thought it would have more oomff, but NOT quite. Favored 1 direction over another.....don't know why.

Seems these RC motors need Voltage AND current....Switching regulators (least Chinese made ones) aren't as efficient as a full on AA battery.

so John had it right, just wire it as is.....Must have opened up Rudy 30 times to study why it didn't move smoothly....3D print processes may vary

so discovered edges on parts must also be filed besides the main 2 Body shells.

It's very clever the design of  this simple rod & pinion foot walking Robot.. whomever came up with it.

Now that the research, cuss words 😬, , answers are all behind me, making extra ones wouldn't be hard....

But I'm returning back to my own stalled 3 year robot project at the moment.

Very good job Golddalek. I have printed one too but the very simple version (no lights and only the walking forward action). I have to make a video. I like the way you painted it. Can we have a closer photo to see the details? So what printer did you buy?

I paid TreatStock and CloudCraft, which is a NEW outfit, and less expensive as well.

MilkNasty was the Hub guy I paid.....weird name, but...whatever....Head shells are Elmers glued 🐄 together as I didn't

know if I would have to make more internal adjustments...

But could glue them now with SCIGRIP 16 now that the bugs are worked out.

CloudCraft, prices may change as they get  popular....very impressed with them so far....

I still haven't decided on a 3D printer but leaning towards that expensive fold up one since I am a noob and admittedly inexperienced.

My Rudy is modded slightly, but it is mostly John's design....I love the simplicity of the lever legs,& pinion.

makes for incredible  reliability over more complicated mechanisms.

Would be cool as a Mars rover seeing they aren't exploring the surface in any hurry.......👽

Rudy Front view.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Poor old limping Rudy. Been in the wars, but still getting around. I see that the toes are not glued in flat and level, that would be one big problem.