Goofy's Mechanical Wizard

Simon68

Back in 1977 a Disney comic fall in my hands. I was only 9 years old and my cousin land me a Mickey's comic magazine. On its cover there was a nice little robot: Carlinhos, an AUTOMATON made by Goofy. In Portuguese (Brazil's oficial language) "Carlinhos" is a nickname for LITTLE CHARLIE. I was instantly got into ROBOT addiction (soon later thie "love" was reforced by Star Wars first movie). In the following picture you see those magazine covers. Many years later I discovered that this brazilian (the only one contry) edition was a continuation of the story of the robot carlinhos, which first appeared in the 1952 American edition: "Goofy's Mechanical Wizard" (June 1952). The interesting thing was that this robot (refered as an automaton on the magazine) was created "by accident" by Goofy when he tried to build a CALCULATOR...
44 years later (!) I managed to build my first version of Carlinhos (CHARLIE): it was made of cardboard paper, foil and  some plastic. Then I thought, well, "what aboud build a 3D Print version of Charlie with a more accurate look ?". So I built my 2nd version that also could make move the handle of the "vintage cash register machine head". Now I'm working in my 3rd version: it will have lit eyes, some kind of a vintage cashier register sounds and will also walk. (Note: the little robot did not speak and communicated through printed messages).

disney-mickey-298_Editada.jpg

_GoofyMech0.jpg

2 minutes ago, Simon68 said:

Back in 1977 a Disney comic fall in my hands. I was only 9 years old and my cousin land me a Mickey's comic magazine. On its cover there was a nice little robot: Carlinhos, an AUTOMATON made by Goofy. In Portuguese (Brazil's oficial language) "Carlinhos" is a nickname for LITTLE CHARLIE. I was instantly got into ROBOT addiction (soon later thie "love" was reforced by Star Wars first movie). In the following picture you see those magazine covers. Many years later I discovered that this brazilian (the only one contry) edition was a continuation of the story of the robot carlinhos, which first appeared in the 1952 American edition: "Goofy's Mechanical Wizard" (June 1952). The interesting thing was that this robot (refered as an automaton on the magazine) was created "by accident" by Goofy when he tried to build a CALCULATOR...
44 years later (!) I managed to build my first version of Carlinhos (CHARLIE): it was made of cardboard paper, foil and  some plastic. Then I thought, well, "what aboud build a 3D Print version of Charlie with a more accurate look ?". So I built my 2nd version that also could make move the handle of the "vitage machine head". Now I'm working in my 3rd version: it will have lit eyes, some kind of a cashier register sounds and will could also walk.

disney-mickey-298_Editada.jpg

_GoofyMech0.jpg

"A VOLTA DE CARLINHOS" means (in Portuguese) "CHARLIE'S COMEBACK" meaning that this brasilian comic would bring a new history for the caracter that appeared fpr the first time in the (1952) american comic...

Gold Key Comic books had some real cool robots. Magnus Robot Fighter, Lost in Space comicbook.

That is really neat to see one jump out of the pages like this one, goofy or not.🤖

Since I'm just a newbie(!) I don't know is it possible to post videos here? It seems it only support image extension files...
In fact I did not mean to double post this, I just tried to EDIT some errors in the first text... 😉

In the photos below some parts of the new version (v3) on the bench...
I made a new design for the robot's head. The eyes area is a separate piece made of translucent PLA. Most part will be painted SILVER like the rest of the head and robot body. Some details in BLACK. The nose will be painted SILVER with the top translucent. I'll also put an LED behind it. It will be illuminated sometimes in RED and sometimes in GREEN. In the second photo, the facepart that contains the eyes, where the WHITE LEDs will be placed behind.
PS.: If I can manage that the final product to have a minimum design quality (see: I'm not a CAD expert) I will make the project available on the thingiverse platform. I'd love to see what more skilled users could create...

80a27ade-4b82-4a10-a196-a4f390016446.jpg

10542644-893c-4499-9310-407fe1e1033f.jpg

Welcome, Simon.

I like your designs. I also enjoy bringing these old robots to life.

Yes, you can include videos but you have to upload them to Youtube and paste a link here in your post. 

47 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

Welcome, Simon.

I like your designs. I also enjoy bringing these old robots to life.

Yes, you can include videos but you have to upload them to Youtube and paste a link here in your post. 

Thanks for your feedback and info! 🙏

Sweet!   very cool to bring these to life - thanks for sharing!
The colors on the version #2 (I think?) really stand out.   Kudos!

15 minutes ago, robothut said:

Great job. can not wait to see a video post from you as well.

Thanks John! 
By the way, I'm finishing my mod at your FOKI original design. In fact I replied to your comment at Youtube, but (I don't know way) YouTube did not let me put the link to the thingiverse site. Here is it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5493784

21 minutes ago, Martian Gil said:

Sweet!   very cool to bring these to life - thanks for sharing!
The colors on the version #2 (I think?) really stand out.   Kudos!

Thanks for your feedback Martian!
Any tips and constructive criticism are welcome!

I added a reply with your thing-i-verse files link. I think youtube does not let you add outside links to videos that you do not create sometimes. The custom box artwork for Charlie is fantastic.