Help inserting videos

Elvischris

Hi  Can someone help with inserting a video.  I always seem to have the same problem. ' Insert other media' doesn't seem to do anything.  Copying url just inserts url not video.

I have tried copying youtube link but same problem. Tried copying link from desktop but same problem. Tried to share video but just copies same url to clipboard and not video.

A really simple expanation would be really useful for me (and maybe others)  Sorry if just missing something really obvious.  Maybe Brian could add a sticky note somewhere.

I guess you've tried this, but for general information:

Step 1: Locate your video on Youtube then copy the link.

Step 2. Paste the link into your post. Ignore all the little icons, just paste the link. 

Example: Video on Youtube. Copy that blue link.

Untitled-1.jpg

Now paste the link directly into your post.  It will immediately reveal the video. (Or it ought to!)

I've had the same issue in some areas here but not others; it's spotty.

Sometimes I can reply to my original URL-included post and it will allow me to paste the video; you could try that.

Thanks for the replies.  Here is the link to a video. (This is an older video, but with the same problem)

https://youtu.be/FXxWhO8YiMs?list=PL_0PiVc_bT--PxGeLrtlX_21csIHNyqP0

As you can see, it just shows the text not the video.

This is copied direct from youtube video.  

As you can see, when I post your link I get the same result, just a text line, though it does link to the video.

But by visiting the Youtube video and using the Share option I get the slightly different link. It's basically the same but slightly shorter. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Could you try posting this link? Those extra characters affect the link somehow. Or there may be a setting on your account that needs adjusting.

Thanks for replying Brian.   Did as you suggested and inserted shortened link but still shows as text only.

I think it must be something to do with youtube account but I have tried everything I can think of but still the same result.

youtube set as 'public' so should be ok.   I have tried downloaded vid to desktop but still same result.

I took Brians text link then viewed the video on youtube and used the share URL and pasted it here. seems to show the video for me. It must be a browser setting on your computer.

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately nothing suggested seems to work,  Tried sharing and reposting but still just get a text of the url showing.  I assume it must be my computer as John has suggested.

Is their any other way of uploading a video apart from youtube.  ie  just from desktop or by some other means.   I am not technical emough to know if my browser is at fault

(everything else on my computer works perfectly)   Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks Brian.  I will wait a couple of days in case somebody else comes up with a solution.

I have a couple of videos I would like to post but nothing urgent or over exciting.

Work for me. Hooray!

By the way, that is the most irritating bloody robot in the history of the hobby. That music is EVIL. In a moment of madness I bought one for my grandson. Aged just 18 months, he loves it but the rest of the family hate the wretched noise. I fear that I way accidentally stand on it and loot it for all those lovely gears. 

Brian,  I have loaded and deleted the same url about twenty times.   For some reason,   using the same url it still only works about three out of twenty uploads.

I do not understand why.   At least by keep trying it appears to work for me.   Thanks for all your help.   And yes that music is absolutelly the worst ever.  I have been listening to it for a couple of days now.  The robot has been put away in a cupboard and will never be played with again by me. (The clear body and visible gears are nice though)