Imai Patrol Robot

Brian..

I thought I'd take a look at the Imai Patrol Robot. The original costs a fortune and even if you're lucky enough to own the kit, you probably can't bring yourself to make it because of the financial loss involved. It's quite a dilemma. So it makes a perfect subject for 3D printing. It also has the paddle foot design that is usually much easier to work on than regular walking legs. 

I looked through that wonderful Japanese kit book and found several good images of it in "authentic" liveries. There are at least three colour combinations that look stunning. 

I decided to make this black and red version. I've seen a couple of different antenna designs and will go for the hexagonal one. 

spacer.pngIMG_20220412_155354124.jpg

I'm just waiting for the antenna to finish printing in resin. It's an example of a part that is difficult to print in regular plastic, but easy in resin. I'll probably live to regret saying that! The object is to create an accurate copy but there's a catch - kits are not designed with repairs in mind,. Once built, all the working parts are glued out of sight and are impossible to repair. The final version has to have accessible innards. 

I superimpose an image of the robot on to the CAD design program. Then I can simply copy the dimensions by tracing the shapes. I always use a mirror symmetry so that what is drawn on the right side is duplicated exactly on the left. 

Gilbert tells me that the Patrol Robot was on sale between 1964 and 1966. Some appear for sale on Yahoo but are often falling apart.  

boybookfebruary1965b.jpg

akiyama5424-img1200x1200-15100209373qgjwn4099.jpgboybookfebruary1965b.jpg

Here's the black and red version. Like the kits, this first example would be very difficult to repair. I'm altering the design to make it possible to dismantle parts for future proofing.

IMG_20220413_095024054_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20220413_095033314.jpg

IMG_20220413_095047555.jpg

Crikey, it’s a lot quicker than using a ruler, hammers and saws!  Think I am doing it the hard way. 🤔. I am a bit old school though. 👴 😂 

I think that the antenna is the on-off switch on the original. The eyes and mouth do illuminate, though it's hard to see in daylight.

great color scheme - looks fantastic!    I can see King Smoke and the Rivet Boy in this one.   super progression!
It almost sounds like the little motor is working a bit harder as the right leg is coming fully forward (or the left leg fully back.