King Smoke by Doyusha

Brian..

The sender of this photo knew that it would spark my interest. It was originally posted on Facebook by Marcy and is one of her recent acquisitions.  There's a very small picture of it in the Kogure plastic model book and is called King Smoke by, I believe, Doyusha. The box art is superb:

kit.jpg

The model inside is, however, a disappointment. We had the same problem in England with advertisers putting pictures on boxes that bore little relation to the contents. 

IMG_20211023_093944765.jpg

It's a pale imitation of that mad killer fire-breathing robot on the box. 

There's a definite similarity to the Manmos King body design with those angled corners that's lost on the actual model.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• RoboDerby

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, actually, Brian, the model head almost matches the artwork, except for the grill on the mouth. The issue is with the body; it is too small for the head…the torso is not long, nor wide enough, and the guns are almost nonexistent. But those legs are what needs the real work, to replace the table-like shape  that is there now. Finally, the arms are a bit flat and wimpy, they could be beefed up somewhat.

Yes, the head is good. It's the neck down that loses something.  I wonder which came first, the robot or the artwork? 

I've almost finished the first print and it's looking interesting. 

I think I have a fogger device for that project. See the video I did on the New Attacker Spray robot. I found mine on Amazon for $39.99. The robot runs on a 3.7 volt battery. The fogger is very small but I think you would have to keep the control board as the ultrasonic unit has to have a driver circuit.

I'll check that out, John, though I'm limited to 3 volts. I wonder if I can use some left over smoke units from the Smoking Spaceman?

Here's the first print. I'm not happy with it yet because it doesn't have the impact of that big angular body. I'll exaggerate that body angle and that will give me room for moving guns.

I've used an interrupted printing technique to get the face and chest detailing and its worked well. Basically you switch filament near the end of the print. 

IMG_20211024_160055751.jpg

IMG_20211024_155930232.jpg

IMG_20211024_155947908.jpg

On October 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM, Brian.. said:

Here's the first print. I'm not happy with it yet because it doesn't have the impact of that big angular body. I'll exaggerate that body angle and that will give me room for moving guns

Brian,

Great progress - this version is much more appealing than the model! The dark red and grey colored filament that you chose looks spectacular for this robot.  I agree with your comments on the body and angles... a little more bulk, perhaps definition in the shoulders, and angularity would help.

Now that's better.  I've ordered some misting units from China and I'll need to alter the innards to take extra batteries. Finally I'll add some guns and some lights in the head. 

IMG_20211025_151459367.jpg

WOW! love that. 

Your ability to create these so quickly always impresses.

if considering a run of these, put me on the list.

otherwise I'm gonna need me a 3D printer