Henk's Collection

H.I. Gosses

....No use for cleverness, knowledge or intuition.

Anybody who has anything to sell and has any sense,

puts it out there and the guy who pays most, gets it. Period!

I

You've hit it right on, Henk! Mine was built a long the same lines, a relatively inexpensive hobby at the time at $30-50 per piece and friends thought I was crazy for spending THAT! There was a time even if the funds were available, an item coudln't be had such as the extended period of time during the '70's and '80's when I had offered $1000 or more for a Mechanized Robot and couldn't locate one that anyone was willing to give up!! They figured well, if it's worth that much I'll keep it 'till it increases some more.

I generally went with Griff's rules about the box being included and buy the best there is. I managed that at the above prices, and the wheeling and dealing and searching at odd places where the merchant had no knowledge of the item was half the fun in aquiring them. And as Ray Rohr once stated, 10,000 of an item was needed to make the toy viable and to re-coup costs, so there should be lots out there still.

The internet has put all out for everyone to see. I'd like to state, though that I've never been in it for the value aspect in any way. Only bought what I truly liked and have never regretted that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robot Fool, the square head Meccano is from plans from the late 30"s, originally made with the blue/gold crosshatch parts. The round head is early 50's, dark red, dark green. The blue/gold parts are hard to find, they were pre war from the U.K. It is thought that many were dumped in scrap drives etc. to build anything steel for the war effort. I have the plans [Meccano] for both of these models, have built the 50's one, 30's is on "my list of things to do" By the way, nice collection H.I., there is drool all over my keyboard now I have to clean off. :D

Meccano Robot,

This is just the tip of the Netherland ice berg

of discussions, this collection of

photos will touch.

Thanks Mike Van & HI Gosses

post-2-1111060998.jpg

Henk -

Did I ever tell you that it was this photo in the Boogaerts book that you sent me, that inspired me to build my own version (using "new" erector parts)?

I still need to add a few finishing touches (shoulder covers, hands, chest detail, etc). This one actually runs off of four "AA" batteries using a gearbox of my own creation.

I feel privileged to have seen some of your collection in all those photos and color copies you sent, lo' those many years ago! It helps to explain "the patience with which listened for hours to [your] rantings"!

if i was a 120 years old , i could amass a collection like that as well! :D

very very nice , i had no idea it was that large.

you are henk-the-hut of europe!

congrates gosses!

I hate computers with a passion to Henk 's never to be satiated need of hysterically burst to laugh whenever I'm trying to work against the machine. Typical, here I'm tryin to preview my post & look at how the picture appears & it just doesn't work at all...............so let's assume that the preview post option doesn't let me check on how my picture appears & that I have to try the add reply option & see then. For all of you that haven't had their Gustav yet & if this is so pathetic that Henk's laugh himself to death : Sorry ! (Anyway you should have ordered earlier)

post-2-1111180874.jpgColl2.jpg

I love computers . even when they say something is not gonna work, or is impossible or just hasn't worked because mumbo jumbo blah blah blah you still can find a way to beat them. & if you do it yasself, all the proudest you can be, even if your neighbour is laughing so hard that the planes fall out of the sky.............

post-2-1111181142.jpgColl3.jpg

To put all of this in context: The quote:When ever I try to work against

my machine might explain some of the trouble.

However Christian was so preoccupied with the battle that he forgot

to mention that the first 4 pictures

are only a small part of the "wallpaper" in the more humble

parts of the house. I am not quite sure if it is the stairwell or the toilet.

People in the surrounding neighbourhood often encounter dazed looking strangers,

who's heads seem to bring forth the sound of ringing bells.

"Ah!" they say to eachother,

"another foreigner who had just seen Christian's collection."

& why the hell would anyone be interested in looking at my 2 or 3 robots on display at www.home.com. Haven't you seen all those already? Anyway, if it pleases someone out there, react . Obviously I'm as cheap as they come. Could never get myself to spend money on wallpaper, so I had to cover all the walls with robots.

post-2-1111181648.jpgColl4.jpg

& on a good day I discovered JUMBO MACHINDERS or how to cover an inane amount of space with too few robots because tey are stupidly huge

post-2-1111181956.jpgJumboXris_1.jpg

You know; there's far too much of those toys lying around here. Maybe I should at least try to sell the 1000 duplicates. Now how could I do that????

E-boring-bay? Buy a truck & go to toy shows... I wonder

Ooooo Anyone for more Machinders while I'm at it?

post-2-1111182364.jpgJumboXris_3.jpg

Well, now I know where all the old robots in Europe have gone! Between you and Henk I think you have just about everthing ever made. Fantastic, just fantastic. Thanks for sharing your ..Gulp!....collection!

Very impressive, Christian. I think you missed a spot, though -- I'm pretty sure I was able to identify the color of your walls. Oh wait, no, my mistake...

I'm curious -- I noticed two Moon Robots (Ribbon Robby robots). They look the same to me -- is there a difference between the two that I'm not noticing in the picture?

As Christian has gone to sleep, I seem to remember there is no difference, but condition

and colour of the hands.

It's just opulence.

If one Moonrobot is nice, two are nicer!

'till Dirk cried for an hour,wailed and whimpered,

and so convinced me that it would be immoral not to sell him one,

I had 3 Rocketman, happily standing next to each other.

Opulence, just opulence..

Henk - You're the only other collector I know of who also has the red & blue Robby ME-091 Space Tank! D you also have the blue & red wind-up Jupiter Robot that is standing next to mine in this photo? I know both these robots only pop up in Europe and I remember seeing a photo of a collection years ago with one in it and I was sure it was you. Or maybe Christian? Can't remember.

post-2-1111233822.jpg

Archived