Any information on this Mak's Space Gun?

tikidoc

Hey all, 

I just recieved this as a gift and was wondering if anyone had any information on it. On the left side it say Mak's on the right side is says No. 508 Made in Hong Kong. I presume it is a dart gun,but, I was hoping someone out there might have some more information. I would like to try and put a year on it.

Thanks in advance.

20210617_175839.jpg

20210617_175856.jpg

I've been scratching my head on this one. I have put a few hours into researching this, the eBay auction keeps coming up in reference to my search. The auction says 1960s.

Now I wonder if this was a stand alone gun or if it was part of another toy. Ideal had a cool gun in the King Zor set. So far I have been able to find very little on this gun other than the auction. I only have about 4 hours total invested into the research. Like I said this was a gift, and because of that I will treasure this gun whether or not I find any history on it.

I didn't know this set. The gun looks a little light to chase the alien. I believe that most of the children were eaten by the biomechanical creature. That explains why the set is so expensive.

Thank you for that discovery .

You are welcome tikidoc, glad to be of help.  I do have to admit that I have no idea why I recognized where the dart gun came from.  😆

David.

10 hours ago, Krel said:

You are welcome tikidoc, glad to be of help.  I do have to admit that I have no idea why I recognized where the dart gun came from.  😆

David.

David, Well I for one am glad you recognized it . For some reason I had a feeling it might be part of a bigger product. 

-Dean

18 hours ago, 6Stelab9 said:

I didn't know this set. The gun looks a little light to chase the alien. I believe that most of the children were eaten by the biomechanical creature. That explains why the set is so expensive.

Thank you for that discovery .

You're welcome @6Stelab9That may indeed explain the higher price.

• 1 month later...

Here is a bit of detail not mentioned. I first noticed this design as the ray gun included with the Billy Blastoff toys; it could be plugged into the figure and would light up.

0A8FC371-3F3F-4726-975E-ABDCCCCC44E2.jpeg.ff61e94f16550217e96ec529a9187ff2.jpeg

Later, I found this bubble wand gun, it was a combination squirt and bubble pistol; you could dip the wand at the end of the barrell, and make bubbles that could then be used as targets.

35810277-0F10-4ABA-AE66-AAF1E3623211.jpeg.93979739792710c4d511beb56c0dac7d.jpeg

So, chicken or the egg? Was the Maks gun copied from the Billy Blastoff toy, or the other way around?

@Tinplate6  I appreciate the new information! I did date the Maks gun in the set to 1979. I don't know if they made any earrlier than that. I do believe Billy Blastoff was earlier, and that is an amazing gun on its own. The Eldon squirt and bubble gun looks like it may have come out before 1979, that is metely my assumption I have nothing to back that up. I do feel the need to find the Billy Blastoff gun.