Painted Japanese Miniature Diecast (Linemar Etc.)

space.trucks

Hello. I've developed a genuine craving for miniature hand painted vehicle toys from Japan i.e. Linemar miniatures, which is what got me started on them. Would like to learn more about the genre before diving deeper. I love that 1961 sensibility right down to using an antimony alloy as the casting metal, d'oh. Does anyone know of any online resources about this idiom?

IMG_1722.jpg.2086be0ba898fd5cd8b7b449d0c3e830.jpg

Astronaut by Airfix at about 1/64.

IMG_1731.jpg.0c3349cac7be35618a175120a407f6ef.jpg

Piasecki HUP. Non-Linemar but the same idea, scale and material. Jet too, packaged as "Bag of Best Toy", saving opening it for a rainy day. There's other maker varieties which look cool as well especially the tiny military vehicles. Chopper is currently my favorite toy. Can't stop looking at it.

IMG_1178.jpg.0d4fcc9f2fc84e1a4b4c12d5b3f8394a.jpg

P-80? F-94? F-89? and what I think be either an F-105 Thunderchief or F-100 Super Saber. Any hints on that maker logo'd earn a beer.

Would like to learn more about the idiom if anyone can point me in the right direction. Cheers!

What are the health hazards of antimony?

Exposure to relatively high concentrations of antimony (9 mg/m 3 of air) for a longer period of time can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and lungs. As the exposure continues more serious health effects may occur, such as lung diseases, heart problems, diarrhea, severe vomiting and stomach ulcers.

I have no idea if this is true, it is what popped up on the net when I looked in to it.

1 hour ago, robothut said:

What are the health hazards of antimony?

Exposure to relatively high concentrations of antimony (9 mg/m 3 of air) for a longer period of time can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and lungs. As the exposure continues more serious health effects may occur, such as lung diseases, heart problems, diarrhea, severe vomiting and stomach ulcers.

I have no idea if this is true, it is what popped up on the net when I looked in to it.

Likely correct. Raw crumbly or powdered antimony is dangerous stuff, probably its fumes as well and children should not be given or handle toys made from such materials. These are a solid cast alloy at room temperature. I keep mine boxed/bagged and in a storage case between ogle sessions. Handling is minimal and the surfaces one does handle are painted with enamels. Definitely a figment of an era and I'd like to learn more.