Removing glue residue from plastic space gun?

PeeBee

Hi all,

perhaps not the best topic to post this in, but I hope some space gun (or plastic) collectors can help me out.

Some time ago I bought a plastic space gun with the nozzle (correct english term?) glued the wrong way on the gun. Now I want toremove thta part en glue it the right way. What is the best way to dissolve the glue without damaging the plastic?

Thanks in advance!

20210513_083826.jpg

20210513_083833.jpg

20210513_083841.jpg

It all depends on the glue that has been used. If it's a flexible type you might be able to tease the nozzle off. If it's PVA then warm water will work.

Unfortunately most solvents will probably eat into the plastic. 

Maybe boil a pot of water. Dip end into pot, experiment with a few seconds, move to longer period of time.

See if plastic parts separates from glue once dipped into pot and warmed up?

If not- 

I would grease the nozzle with some protective layer, maybe a stiff hair wax. ( to protect from solvents in next steps )

Then try an eyedropper and start with alcohol. After applying a few very small droplets into slot-

Hold gun upside down so solvent  drains down into the nozzle connection to neck.

Try a higher grade of alcohol, worse case- acetone if it doesn't twist.

I agree w/Brian, It may 'eat plastic' but usually just the thin connecting layers - least then, it  allows parts to twist, move apart.

If you are going to glue the part anyway, you won't see it upon re-assembly.

But it's just what I would try....

NOTE: I notice the metal screw, perhaps the barrel is split? It could help in maneuvering the connecting pieces.