Get A Grip - Star Roto Robot, 1985

Joe K.

So it looks like the control levers are part of a base part that is separate from the rest of the console. So the one picture you have Joe is of a toy that has been opened up and the part lost or was manufactured with out the control handle base part , maybe.

I bought my Star Roto when it first came out in 1985. It, like yours John, has the control grips. 
In subsequent years, I've seen later versions without the grips. I suspect there was an initial production run of these. For whatever reason, later runs were

"gripless".

A Goggle image search shows many of both kinds.

Gilbert cast some light on this robot. I thought he would know!

There may be a reason for some differences :  there are a lot of manufacturers and repros, and even a Spanish version by Artec

DSC05031.jpg

walkinghero.jpg

red-artec-0a.jpg

blue-artec-a.jpg

I think that it’s totally absurd for a giant robot to be carrying an axe and shield (This kind of robot anyway...the Gundams manage to make it look perfectly natural).

At the same time, I am 100% OK with them holding a giant laser pistol the size of a riding lawnmower. Go figure...🤷‍♂️

• 2 years later...