Robotel Astronaut Revived

Brian..

Roantique recently posted a rare astronaut.  I couldn't buy one, so I made one.  If you're tempted by 3D printing, get busy. 

Like John said, the switch is in a dreadful position. It looks as though the tooling for the version was just wrong or improvised. Anyhow, after making a version with the switch in the "correct" position I quickly moved it somewhere sensible.  I also made this a normal walker because it's way better than a pin walker. I'm just waiting for small tyres to finish it off.

Thanks, Roantique. 

IMG_20210312_144146713.jpg

IMG_20210312_144139936.jpg

IMG_20210312_144126678.jpg

Those hands are creepy. Did you do them in a flexible resin or filament for the fingers survive play time ? I am not 100 % sure the world needed another one of these guys, but if it does then yours is fantastic. Now get those rubber O rings on the wheels and lets see if this guy can walk.

oh, that's great!   The world needs more creepy toys!   Kudos, Brian!
I'm with John - let's see this guy take a stroll!

I think it is just awesome! Actually reminds me of the Delchan model in a way. Is the center part also meant to be a camera as with Delchan? 

It's PLA, but designed in sections so that the front can be printed flat. This gives a much better quality finish but it is more fiddly to build. I think it's worth the effort. 

11 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

It's PLA, but designed in sections so that the front can be printed flat. This gives a much better quality finish but it is more fiddly to build. I think it's worth the effort.  

Do you mean that all the details in front (for example) are printed separately then glued?

6 hours ago, robothut said:

... I am not 100 % sure the world needed another one of these guys, but if it does then yours is fantastic.

Brian, I think this is fantastic too! Please add my name to the list if you plan on making more. Can you tell us what robot's approximate height is?

Not quite. There's a thin sheet (a millimeter thick)  with all the detail on it. This is glued to the front - the seam is effectively invisible. 

He's a little fellow, 19cm, 8 inches tall in his stockings. 

I remember when he posted that and thinking-Man, I hope Brian recreates that one!!! What a unique design and yours turned out fantastic!!!-I think the hands look great(just like the originals!) Congratulations Brian🤩 I am looking forward to the video too !!!

Good call on repositioning the switch... it definitely looks out of place, almost as an afterthought, on the original! Thanks for providing the dimensions, this is nice size overall. 

I really like it, the face reminds me of the battery operated Hong Kong robots of the same vintage (Zero of Space, Lunar Spaceman, etc.).

Please add my name to the list should you decide to produce a few of the little fellows.

Well this weird little bugger is putting up a struggle. The walking is proving difficult because there's so little room in the feet. I can suddenly see the attraction of a pin walker. 

I've decided to upgrade the batteries to AA. The original AAA cells were just too feeble. That means reworking the body and the motor mount to make room for the thicker batteries. He's also leaning too far backward and kicking his feet in the air. He'll have to mend his ways pretty quick or he'll be an air rifle target.