make oxygen on subs and space craft & scrub C02

robothut

Great bit !!  I'm intrigued by the use of O2 generators ..Surely they must be used only when the H tubes are off line ..Extremely dangerous if the O2 would Pool in a closed pressure vessel. Same system we keep onboard aircraft in the cockpit installed on the Fire Hoods. Transportation of those canisters in the cargo hold is what brought down the Value Jet in Miami 1996. After that ,,, all the hoods had to be discarded instead of being rebuilt..Provided me with a life supply of Sand blasting hoods..😀 The scrubbers reminded me of a dive in the Red Sea yrs ago,, Most of our dives were above 30 ft for several reasons,,One is the lighting is best above 20 ft,, Two,,is that you can dive for hours at 20 ft ,,,a tank last forever and third no need to watch the Dive charts..One weekend we were joined by some special ops guys who were practicing with Re-Breathers...Fabulous piece of equipment..We all took turns diving with them..I loved it as it is so quiet..No regulator releasing bubbles past your ears. But they do come with their own dangers and restrictions using the Scrubbers.    If ya get a chance watch the Smithsonian Channel Special on the Submarine "Explorer".. Launched in 1865,,it was a little late for the war,,so was relocated off the coast of Panama for a commercial Pearl diving operation..The sub worked perfect,,but the crew began to die off from what they called the Fever...The inventor included. Come to find out it was the first cases of the bends... And there it sits to this day,,the first double hull sub..  

Sub_Marine_Explorer_Wreck.jpg

Back about 1973 I needed to braze. Couldn't, afford a proper torch so bought one that came with a MAP cylinder and black pellets the size of a dixie cup. You turned on the gas and lit this white pellet. Dropped it in a tube and that was the O2 source. Remember. 

afcaa0bc1f04a8a9d626a5d37e0a2e0f.jpg

Solid_Ox_No2_Pellets.03.JPG

I do not recall this welling set up but glad you posted about it, seems like a good idea when O2 is on hand or in the tank as it would be. Lots of things make 02 when they burn like fire works sparklers if to dip them in wax you can light them and take them under water. Also as kid I used to make smoke bombs with chemicals that at the time you could buy in any dug store "not any more" and they would burn under water with out a wax coating, once lit nothing would put them out. Ah the good old days when you could lite something and it stayed lit.

9 Yrs old and the smirk on the pharmacist face,,,when he ask why I needed 5 lbs of salt peter ,,,,,,,,,and I told him it was for my Dad .. And my Mom trying to bake a cake with a bag of sugar missing..Back when you could get into good old mischief in the name of science.. 😊 

Yes, they never did ask me why I was buying so much salt peter. I would take the salt peter and sugar and melt them together in a pot to a golden brown, you could then pour it in to shapes or old egg cartons or a big loaf and cut it in to any size you want. once it cools it is solid, harder than a brick. Such good fun.

46 minutes ago, robothut said:

Yes, they never did ask me why I was buying so much salt peter. I would take the salt peter and sugar and melt them together in a pot to a golden brown, you could then pour it in to shapes or old egg cartons or a big loaf and cut it in to any size you want. once it cools it is solid, harder than a brick. Such good fun.

Those were the days John and Eagle! I used to do the same...probably how I got in chemistry. Potassium nitrate was readily available from the local pharmacy or hobby / lab supply store, I purchased in quantity just like you did Eagle. Waterproof fuse from the hobby store and flowers of sulfur and charcoal even easier to find. Sodium chlorate, which happens to be the main component of Solid Ox Pellets, and sugar was even more fun. The Solid Ox Pellets work in the torch kit by releasing Oxygen when heated or burned, the by-product is table salt (sodium chloride). Good old fashioned fun...

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

9 Yrs old and the smirk on the pharmacist face,,,when he ask why I needed 5 lbs of salt peter ,,,,,,,,,and I told him it was for my Dad ..

LOL, good one Eagle!

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

LOL, good one Eagle!

Yeah,,that one could fly over some heads...Not many know of the medicinal properties of Salt Peter ..😊  Don't forget the other sources of explosive fun,,,Cutting 400 match-heads off ,,stuffing them in a jar ...Cutting dads 12 Gauge shells in half for the powder..Dry Ice and hot water,, M-80's were still available..Put 2 of those in the payload section of a C powered estes...Make sure you pick an engine with less than a 4 second secondary delay,,,,lest the neighbor will lose some shingles and you some hide. UFCB's after sundown...[ Unidentified Flying Cleaners Bag]  Seal the top with a hot butter knife,, two pieces of balsa and sixteen 1/4" candles. That will take it to 500 ft before plummeting to earth as a fireball.  Last but not least ,,,tennis ball cannons ! Burn the fuzz off the tennis ball for a good seal..I even built mine like a bazooka with a trigger , 9 volt battery and a Nichrome wire..[ Dad] ..Anyone seen my lighter fluid !  Buddy we were never bored . Grounded a lot,,but never bored.. I have photo's of giant 8 ft kites we built with moms bed sheets..Grounded again.. I can't wait til my grandson gets a little older,,,man do I have some stuff to pass on...If I can hang on that long.. 

Yes I forgot about the home made pop rocks, all those match heads some small pebbles and wrap it up in alluminum foil.  Throw them at your friend, job done. The unidentified floating cleaner bags were a staple for summer nights fun as well, its a wonder we did not burn down the place. I made giant hot air balloon out of tissue paper, it was big enough to climb in side. But it burned up before taking to the air.

I think the most satisfying and the most challenging was the trebuchet ..After all there was no Youtube..Just drawings in ancient armor books .. My Grandfather was an engineer for Armco Steel,,,so it was pretty easy when I ask him to bring home a heavy ingot of raw iron ..The most trying part is fine tuning the release pin for the sling...To obtain the perfect release point to reach the optimum trajectory..The world was our pearl.. Cynicism had yet to be branded into our demeanor .  

Never ever ever ever dry fire one !  Hey John I forgot,,I wanted to tell ya . When I was watching the program on the Explorer Sub,,in passing they mentioned the new hydrogen powered subs.  German Navy ..U-Boot-Klasse 212 A.  Amazing power supply. 

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/why-germanys-new-super-stealth-submarines-could-take-any-21021