BUCK ROGERS CUSTOM ROCKETS

Phil R

Recently Mark (Eagle) completed a large 18" Buck Roger Pursuit Ship rocket from wood. It's the second in a series of 6 designs from the graphic for the 1930s balsa wood sets. Although the originals were only meant to be about 6" Mark decided big is better. It's now painted slightly modified.   he also made the 18" Martian Police Ship (you see a pattern here)  some years ago.  I have another of that series that was an 8"  commercially made item as well as the 12"  Asterite  ship on one of the big little books.  I also have one that Jim Knower made some years ago that I turned into a diorama  as well as the modern Buck version that I also made into a diorama.   Everything is in reverse order for the surprise at the end.

post-221-0-30551900-1303842274.jpg

post-221-0-16690700-1297129674.jpg

new rocket.JPG

BUCK_ROGERS_BATTLE_CRUISER_SPACE_SHIP_DESK_MODEL.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_1081-001.jpg

P1010001-017.JPG

br7.jpg

Terrific as always, Phil

Your skills are second to none.

Slight tangent, but some of the 3D robots Brian and others are producing really would benefit from your artistic touch for the paint/art work.

I don't know about 3D printing assist .  It's tough getting someone with lathe skill in wood to make the traditional models. I don't have the equipment but it's still been a lot of years since I did lathe work in my father-in-law's shop.

'

The wood looks very smooth for the space rockets which feels superior compared to the lines of  the 3D printing on some of them, but what I really feel holds the 3D models back is the paint. Just nowhere near the effect of a lithographed tinplate.