Walking Flywheel powered robot

robothut

Here is the build video. If you watch on Youtube you will see the link for the Demo video and link for the Thing-i-verse files.

The robot has a nice weight to it and there are no small cams or other parts waiting to break and metal shafts and even ball bearings have been used in the build.

DSC07458.jpg

DSC07459.jpg

DSC07460.jpg

DSC07461.jpg

DSC07462.jpg

The flywheel gear box build.

The shafts for the flywheel and gears are 3d printed in split parts. The shaft parts are held together by the ball bearings and the gears that fit on them. Here you can see the gearbox housing and the main drive gear, axle and bearings.

DSC07344.jpg

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07346.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

I made 2 robots the prototype one did not have the mouth and a few other small changes. Here are some pictures of the second gear box unit.

DSC07380.jpg

DSC07384.jpg

DSC07381.jpg

DSC07382.jpg

DSC07383.jpg

The output drive shafts have large cams that fit on them. One of these cams also have a crank cam that lets a metal shaft crank catch when turned in one direction and slip in the other. This makes it easier to crank the flywheel up to speed. These cams are not installed in the actual build until the leg units are built and installed.

You can see the crank shaft has a small cap on the end that keeps the cranking shaft from falling out of the gearbox.

DSC07394.jpg

DSC07395.jpg

DSC07396.jpg

starting the foot / leg units. I did not take many pictures of this step , but the build video shows in real time how to do it.

DSC07397.jpg

DSC07398.jpg

DSC07399.jpg