Yonezawa Prototype TV Robot Project

Brian..

John discovered that the foot has a mechanism that would reverse direction if the robot bumped into something. John's account makes fascinating reading

I might have a shot at recreating something similar once I've got the first build sorted. I'm at the fiddly stage of adjusting the leg action and squeezing lights into awkward spaces. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• robothut

• Jonydroid

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is going to be awesome Brian! If you haven’t already considered doing it yourself, please save this other as a project for me. (In the middle) E49E055E-D2B8-48C1-AFEB-EA061C7C36FD.jpeg.74d270a67a844cc5fe4faca6c159ce6a.jpeg

My intention from the start was to first complete the standard Lunar and then adjust the design for this version. Hoping to have the first Lunar printing for a test this weekend. 

No problem, Jeremy. I wanted to tackle a TV robot.

Here's one of Matijn's pictures of the back. I've had to do some reworking to make my invented back look more appropriate!

BACK.jpg

What is this body made of? Is it cast, formed from sections, or is it it pressed steel or copper? Do we know when it was made? Is it possible it was a development towards Television Spaceman, or was this one later? What is that weird post thingy sticking out from the shoulder?

Are there, or does it appear that there are meant to be space pilots in the head, like Mr. Mercury? Something about the shape of this as well as that clever foot mechanism makes me wonder if there's a connection to the space explorer robot that rises from a box, also by Yonezawa. I so wish we knew more about the designers!

11 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

What is that weird post thingy sticking out from the shoulder?

his antennae remind me a bit of the Japanese  made Karate Robot's antenna.

thumb_DSC06549.jpg

Here's the first print. I'm waiting for plastic for the head visor so the mould is sitting there at the moment. It's walking fine and the space scene is turning - rather fast, but steady.

Looking at Yonezawa robots, they don't seem to use antennas. So a red dome like the one on Winky might be appropriate. 

IMG_20210108_194040556.jpg

IMG_20210108_193939080.jpg

Man Brian. My admiration for this one is nearly beyond words. The aesthetics are stunning both in regards to simple elegance and also the overall character of this design. You have wonderfully captured the feel of the original prototype. Even aside from that, I think this would have made an awesome character in an old sci fi film. Each of your designs Brian seems to trump the one before it. Just marvelous.

The next fantastic project, Brian!

Count me in for one, please.

I had not expected this thing to be so large compared to the smaller wind-up Yonezawa, Lunar Robots.

But it seems to have the same size an proportions as the prototype pieces and otherwise all the mechanics would not fit, I guess.

What color will the final robot have, two tone ?