Yonezawa Prototype TV Robot Project

Brian..

This is the prototype Yonezawa TV Robot. It appeared in two parts on Yahoo Japan - first the inner assembly along with the arms and legs, then the body shell with its unusual shape. Only later did it become clear that these were the two parts of a unique Yonezawa project.  It's unlikely that the two sets of components will ever be reunited.

I've wanted to produce this TV style robot for some time. The Mighty Robot solved a couple of the obvious problems for me so I've decided to bring this fellow to life. I've no plans to go into mass production because the Mighty 8 knocked the stuffing out of me. I'd rather make two different robots than ten of the same. 

TV.jpg

Here are the innards from the Yahoo auction:

post-27-1215483250.jpg

Unique body, weird legs familiar arms. Lovely.  I can't create a stop go version so I'll just jo for a slowly rotating space scene. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• robothut

• Jonydroid

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are no dimensions available for the body so I can go by eye. I see my side antennas need to be much larger and the dome needs adjusting - it seems to sweep back slightly. Lightening the auction photo revealed some detail inside the head. Any ideas? 

Capture.JPG

I remember these. At one time Brian Dratomic owned the bottom portion. He still may have it. Go for it Brian! Looking forward to the results! We appreciate all your efforts on the Mighty 8 production. 

Brian if you can fine my original treads on this topic you will have more information about the advanced design functions of the foot mechanics and the body that was later found. Dratomic might be able to give you actual dimensions for the body.

Yep, I still own it! :) 

this looks like an awesome project Brian, and I would love to buy one of the outer casings if it comes to fruition. It’ll be nice to see what this would have looked like when complete. 

if you need specific dimensions or photos, just drop me a line and I’ll be happy to assist. Email is best — sadly, I don’t always check these boards as often as I used to. stillman (dot) brian (at) gmail.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the heads up, gents. I've found the information and it will make life easier. I can see that I'll need to alter the legs and feet slightly but I won't even try to copy that amazing foot mechanism. I can probably use that vintage space scene rather than make my own, but I might design my own version for fun. 

I've designed the body based on guesswork, so I doubt if it will fit your interior assembly, Brian. It would need considerable adjustment to fit. 

I'm just working on the motor that will drive the picture wheel. Fortunately I bought a few of them when planning the Mighty 8. It's a fun build and I'm so glad to be working on something new. 

The space scene really needs a magnifying lens in front. I might experiment with an old slide viewer or reading glasses - or possibly a fresnel magnifying sheet. 

Any Ideas ?

Brian, could you use the mechanism like on the Planet robot and the meter version of your Russian prototype robot-I was thinking it would be cool to have a Rocket that flew back and forth in the upper area- Maybe between 2 backlit planets?  Maybe a Red, Green , Blue LED behind the planets and the Rocket zipping back and forth between them !!!  AWESOME  !!!! Or maybe a flying saucer so there is no front or back to it? Just a spaceship that flew between the 2 illuminated planets😜!!!!!

Rather ambitious, Rich!  I'm thinking of something simpler because I already have two motors installed. I'm working on the lights for the moving scene. The UK has just gone in to another bloody lockdown - a big one. Now it's illegal to leave the house without a valid reason. So I have time on my hands.

I can see two circular disks on a platform and something behind. I already have a little spaceman from the Kitahara prototype robot, so he may find his way inside. If the owner of the original body is watching, could you send me a picture please? 

Oz, this was on Yahoo many years ago. I've just been informed that a member of our community bought the innards and commissioned John to repair the leg and get the mechanism going. He decided that he did not want to keep the incomplete robot so sold it to dratomic.  A little later, and to his surprise, the body turned up at auction. He tried to buy it but someone wanted it more. 

He recalls that the body had a wood or resin construction.