Clonezawa Fauxtotype

RoboDerby

Well, Christmas has, as expected, drained the coffers again. In addition, I have about a month off of work before the next assignment begins. Nothing to do but see if I can’t get through just one danged project! 😜 

So here we go. Using dimensions taken and carefully sketched from the yellow Miyazawa color sample/prototype Lunar Robot, I am now in the process of translating my sketches into the CAD software. In addition to the obvious need to complete the arms and legs, I also need to design the mechanics and divide everything up in a way that makes them printable. For now, I am just aiming to get the aesthetics correct. So far, so good I think.

197F8628-DFC0-4E23-BE7B-E55EFD61CDA4.jpeg.87bbf990407665a274b628fb6dcac131.jpeg

7 hours ago, ROBODUDE said:

AWESOME JEREMY-That is going to be a goodie !!!  Battery operated ???

Thanks Rich! Yes, I think I will start with a wired control style so as not to face any unnecessary balance obstacles. 

I finished the arms today. While I had a heck of a time getting the curve right in the upper arm, in the end, I think they look great. I just have to finish up the feet and then I’ll move on to the mechanics and printing strategy.

I plan to keep the arms without mechanical action like the original, partly due to the limited space in this little guy and partly as the winding key limits the range of motion of the left arm anyway. But I do plan to keep the key feature for aesthetics and if possible I hope to add mechanical function to the key so that it turns when the toy is operating.

Also, though I am designing all of the parts to be printed and the first runs will likely be made entirely from printed plastic, I am also considering trying a version where I make the key, legs, chest panel, and back power switch from metal to match the original Lunar. All of these seem like simple enough shapes to recreate in metal. The feet though, despite being metal in the original, will likely remain plastic as this is a shape that I think is currently beyond my limited metalworking skills. We shall see. I hope to be ready to print and test the first one in the next week or two. I haven’t yet succeeded in completing a project, so we will see. But I’m feeling pretty good about this one.

It's an excellent choice, Jeremy.  A good looking robot with history. A wired version won't make balance much easier, though, but it does simplify the interior. 

I love the way you start with those beautiful technical drawings. As for making the metal parts, I wish I had the skills. Good luck!

Well gang. I have finished with the exterior aesthetics pretty much to my satisfaction. I feel like I’ve done a fairly accurate job of recreating an outward facsimile of the original Yonezawa Lunar Robot. I have a motor mount roughly in place and I have started in a bit on the work dividing up the parts for printing. Next up will be designing the walking mechanism and assessing whether or not there will be room left for any additional mechanical function, such as having the aesthetic winding key turn with the walking motion. Regardless, I am certain there will be room at least for a light or two. 

Here is a new video of the screen showing the completed exterior of the design.