The Last Hero

Eagle

Friday night 1978 Luke AFB,,Lead man ask if anyone would like to come in tomorrow morning to recover an aircraft that would not be covered by transit alert...Groans fill the room,,then he says it's a P-51...My hand shoots up,,Sure ! The next morning it taxis in,,the engine shuts down , I chock it ,place the fire bottle and ground it. What a beautiful site parked amongst a squadron of F-15's. The canopy slides back..I position myself [Senior Airman] at the trailing edge of the wing. The pilot gets out facing forward removes his helmet and turns around,,,In total disbelief I snap to attention , salute and uncontrollably say the words,,,,Chuck Yeager !! He smiles and says,,Yes I am !! Good morning Airman,,,and shakes my hand..Where is a good place to get some chow ? A limo staff car pulls up and I'm standing there staring at Glamorous Glennis in the morning Sun. Priceless. I found out he was there for the filming of the David Carradine movie [Cloud Dancer] ...It remains crisp in my mind to this day.

Have any of you ever read his books ? Very entertaining ,insightful and funny. We are very fortunate to have shared a historical timeline with this legend . Right now he is sitting With Bud Anderson, Bob Hoover and Scott Crossfield ,,where every story starts out [ So there I was ! ]

s-l640-2.jpg