Canadian Pyrotomic Disintegrator Pistol

ROBOTANK M

What are your thoughts on the Canadian versions of the Pyrotomic Disintegrator Pistol?

They are knock offs right?? As stated on Alphadrome's Ray Gun archive, the lack of the Pyro logo on the handle dial reveals it to be the Canada version, correct? I would think the perceived value is less than a Pyro made? 

• 2 weeks later...

OK these are my thoughts. In other words the impression I have after many years of collecting rayguns and reading posts here. Not claiming to be the last word on the subject.

I regard the Canadian Pyro pistols to be just as legitimate and desirable as the American version. From what I understand they were made to sell in the Canadian market concurrently with the American version by the same company. That said I have no solid proof of this. If someone claimed the Canadian version was made by another company in Canada I would not know how to disprove it.

My definition of a Pyro knock off are the fakes that all share the same molding flaws from when the original was cracked open to make molds for the fakes. As far as I am concerned the only non-legitimate Pyro pistols have those tell tale flaws. If you are not familiar with these do a search here. Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for your knowledge input FJW, I really value your perspective and experience sharing! I am new to these Pyro's and learning from each interaction with fellow appreciators of the Art. It seems, they are valued as rare and desirable as the American market Pyro's, and some like the color schemes more on the Canadians!? 

So, you have knowledge that the Canadian "version" is in fact made by Pyro? If so, do you have any publication or literature showing this fact? That would be really neat to see!!

The Canadian version doesn't have a Pyro logo and there was, as far as I am aware, no Pyro factory in Canada. The gun was possibly produced under license by one of the Canadian plastics companies. Reliable comes to mind, but they usually put their name on the box.  

Like Don, I'm sure it's not a knock off. Pyro's lawyers would have been on the case in days.  

The question is why someone decided to go to the trouble of producing the guns in Canada instead of importing them from New Jersey. The answer is usually cost. Were there US-Canada tariffs on toys in 1954?

I'd love to own one. 

Thank you Brian. I truly enjoy learning the history of the toys I have or that appeal to me - it creates a greater value to me! And, every piece of knowledge enables us to transfer the information to the next caretakers of these wonderful toys!

Brian, you hit the nail on the head! Canada was indeed very concerned about low priced plastic goods and raw materials from the US flooding the market in the early to mid-1950s. They implemented heavy tariffs at the time to protect their industry and this would certainly support your theory.

I believe there was time when Mexico had a law that said any toy sold in Mexico had to be produced in Mexico. Perhaps Canada had a similar law? Maybe not just for toys but plastic products in general?  The different colors available in Canada are very interesting and I'm not sure how that fits into the whole licensing/production scheme. Wish I did.

Oh and no I don't have any proof of any of this robotank m. That is the reason for the initial disclaimer. Like a lot of people these days, what I believe and what I can prove are two different things. 😉

Roger that FJW! Isn't there a post here somewhere regarding the Pyro company's acquisition by a currently operational Company? If so, I would be up for contacting them to do some detective work regarding all things PYROTOMIC! If, someone hasn't done that already.....wonder if the answers to all of these question lies in dusty archives somewhere....

• 6 months later...

According to my research on another possible Pyro gun, I came across this on Wikipedia "Pyro developed license agreements with other model and toy companies beginning in the late 1950s, loaning out some of its molds....."

So if one chooses to believe Wikipedia the Canadian guns were most likely made from actual Pyro molds.

@ROBOTANK M as far as my research went Pryo Plastics Corporation and all the companies that were acquired by Pryo over the years now belong to " Round2 LLC of South Bend, Indiana" and they mostly just do model kits. I did contact them at one point and the person I talked to really had no idea of the history and could not point me in the right direction within their company. I was hoping to magically find all the answers and the molds for all the space toys they made, I did not. 

The quoted information above is from Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth.

I still like to believe there is a forgotten warehouse out there somewhere or a forgotten barn or basement that holds the molds for the ray guns, or someone has acquired them for their private collection and is not sharing. It would be cool to find them intact and do a limited run edition.