Working Vs. Non-working Robots

Sonny Young

My first two robots, bought for 88¢ each were both non-working; a silver Horikawa giant and a Mars King. I loved them as a child, and likely, that's where my current love for these robots come from. I wish I still owned them, working or not.

When I look to buy a new robot, what catches me first is its design. A robot could have ten actions, but if I don't like how it looks, I won't buy it. For 99% of the time, I'll be looking at a static robot. Once or twice a year maybe I'll wind or power them up to get them to work, and that time is like Christmas.

Personally, I'd love to have even a couple of the old common SH types in non-working order, just to look and and appreciate for their artistic worth. I love the box art the same way. There's only a couple of robots that would really disappoint me if they didn't work. Otherwise, non-working would be just fine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of two minds. I certainly understand Steve's point of view. And if a toy was rare enough -- say, a Diamond Planet -- I'd be happy to take a non-working example even if I thought I couldn't fix it. But for everything else, I won't buy a toy unless it looks good, has all its parts, and WORKS.

For me, the toy's action is an inherent part of the toy itself. As much as the aesthetics capture the visions of the past, the movements and lights and other elements embody a play-time sensibility that is, in many cases, long gone. They just don't make 'em like this anymore, and that's appealing. The ingenuity of something like Door Robot or Rocketman or Tulip or Chief Robotman always impresses me.

This means, though, that I pass on lots of pieces and miss out on a lot of deals. But to me, it's worth it. I'm not in any rush to build my collection, and I can afford to spend a bit more if it'll get me a mint/working example.

There are always exceptions, of course. My Golden Robot wasn't working when I bought it, but I had every reason to believe it was simply because of a faulty connection in the battery box. I knew I could fix it. Both my Door Robot and Domed Easel Robot have replaced, repro parts -- the ear clips on the Door, and the dome on the Domed. But the ear clips were an unavoidable situation at the time, and the Door Robot's price was so good that I just couldn't pass on a rare toy that's also one of my absolute favorites.

I also bid on a less-than-perfect looking Powder Robot and Lilliput Robot -- they're rare enough and expensive enough that I figured I'd never have another chance at the hoped for prices (I lost both, though, so clealry others had the same idea). But they weren't TOO bad off, so it was worth a try.

Also, as more of you demonstrate how easy robot repairs are, I've become more willing to buy a less-than-perfect toy. It depends on the piece and on the problems.

Anyway, it's hard to put down any hard and fast rules I have for collecting... the piece itself dictates my feelings about whether its worth buying. But GENERALLY, I'd like 'em to run properly.

Good topic.

Very interesting topic !!

Fortunately for me and my pocketbook, (although

sometimes unfortunately for my stress levels !!), I inhabit

the other end of the spectrum from the good Doctor.

With scant few exceptions, all the robots on my shelves

had varying degrees of problems when they arrived here

...some cosmetic, some mechanical.

I also totally agree with Bart, it's a great feeling when you

get one of these guys back together again, and I guess

that's the main reason I tend to pick up all of those poor

neglected robots currently residing here !

Out of curiosity, I just ran in and took a quick look around,

and the only one I don't think I've had apart is the ST-1

that I got a little while back. This is due in part to the fact

that he is all there and working, and in part because he is

one of the few pieces I own that arrived here in original,

yet working condition. He and his box are a nice example

of a played with, yet cared for piece, and I see no reason

to try and improve on that !!

On the other hand...The poor Mechanized Robby that arrived

in the mail Friday was NOT so lucky, as seen below !!

...seems to me this is the way Robby was found at the beginning of the 'Invisible Boy'. Where's Timmy when you need him? :blink:

:) A collector friend from England that also bids on a lot of robots that need repair told me recently that he is going to stop trying for litho'd robots that are in bad shape visually, because he just can't improve the litho much at all. I'd agree with that, It is the only thing that may stop me from trying to aquire a piece at a greatly reduced price. However, there are a lot of people out there with the same thing in mind, repairing non functional robots, that is, and so a lot of times, I should just let them have all the trouble and save up a little bit more money and get myself a nicer one to start with.

Since I don't work my robots in the fields, it's OK if they sometimes don't function. I still love them, -Larry 7

I think it depends on a lots of things as many of you have stated here....

If it's a rare damaged robot/space toy (translation: I can afford it) I'll go for it.

If it's not that rare...and I am not thaaaat crazy about the robot/toy, I may go for it (only if I think I can fix it).

If it's a more common robot/space toy that I really LOVE I'll try to get it as best as possible (that is in working order and no damage at all)

How damaged? I think the most terrible is rust...and specially rust lithoed. Missing parts can be obteined and mechanisms that don't work can be fixed.

95% percent of the time I'm only interested in robots that are working. Part of the reason that I decided to go ahead and buy the partially disabled Space Explorer at the Expo show was because it's such a common problem with those robots and even if I waited a few more years and paid a few more dollars for one that was working properly, how long would it be before that one became disabled? I figured that’s how these robots are after 37 years, even when they have been well cared for all their lives. But mainly I agree with dratomic, part of the appeal and treasure of these toys is their actions. Besides, usually the first time I get to see a robot's action is when I buy one!

On the other hand I understand that these toys can't run forever, and if I own a working robot, take good care of it, and one day it stops working well then I'll know it was inevitable. If I drop it or something and it stops working - that would kill me!!!

Working Vs. Non-working Robots, Where do you weigh in? Well you must concider that all robots will be in the non working catagory someday, so I don't care much either way. Besides I never met a robot that could not be made working again, just alot of them that are not worth the work to make working at this time. And as the years pass what was not worth repairing now will be come more desirable and some one will fix it.

Fineas!

...Which in a way runs paralel to your other thread about the repair of a Space Explorer.

Long time ago, -as most things in my life, I decide the SE had such a fantastic action,

that this would be the robot you would always demonstrate to visitors. (see earlier post).

However this robot is not made for continious use, in fact it is not made for use at all.

It is most certainly one of the earliest and most blatant examples of "Built in obsolence",

or rather self destruction. Being a "incredibly mechanically inclined" person,

I "Sherman-tanked " it.- widened gears, gave it proper bearing, enforfed the plates etc.

Not that I thought about it at the time , but is that legit?

(A museum would cringe)

If I drop it or something and it stops working - that would kill me!!!

Haveing had droped or other wise ruined a few robots in my day I have to say that you actualy will not die. Trust me. :P

I have no problem buying non-working robots as long as...

1) Robot is complete.

2) Robot has no battery corrosion.

3) No "monkey" has tried to fix it in past.

I follow these three rules because I don't have the facilities

to fabricate parts and repro parts are just too expensive.

I also don't mind a little play wear or surface corrosion. I

like that an old toy looks old. Not including Mr. Mercury and

Space Explorer, 99% of all others are usually an easy fix. Most

of them just require a little nudge of the gears to get them going.

The rest will only need some soldering or a reallignment. What

has always amazed me about vintage battery operated toys is

that I've never found a bad motor. Whenever I'm offered a toy

that has a "BAD MOTOR", this usually tells me that there's really

nothing that a good cleaning won't fix. Since I don't have many

plasic robots, I almost never find a cracked gear. I have however

repaired cracked gears but it's usually not worth the effort.

Since I don't really have any super rare high end robots, I have

no hesitation about repairing them. I do believe that rare MIB

toys should be left alone and not opened for repair. Opening up

a toy always leaves damage, no matter how carefull you are. As

mentioned, eventually all toys will stop working again. If it's a

museum piece , leave it as such... :o

Well you must concider that all robots will be in the non working catagory someday, so I don't care much either way.

I never thought of it like that robothut, but I guess all our robots are doomed to stop working at some point.

Just like us, huh? :huh:

Archived