Working Vs. Non-working Robots

Sonny Young

Opening nice condition robots makes me real nervous, last year I carried out major surgery on my gold Mr.Mercury which is listed in 'Tips and Tricks'. After a week or so of painstaking work making new inner workings and various other tricky jobs I got him fully operational, and what a sense of achievemant and pride I felt.

Now I've got another Mr.Mercury the blue plastic arm one which is virtually mint, problem is the lower motor for the legs is lifeless but the top motor for the arms works fine. Even though I feel confident from my previous work to open him without causing any damage I just can't bring myself to do it.

For the time being and possibly well into the future he will remain half functional and a real nice display piece.

:)

• 12 years later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2005 at 1:31 PM, H.I. Gosses said:

Concerning damaged toys:

Non working mechanism...............................................................................always repair.

Missing parts--- cannibalize other toys.........................................................yes

if no original part can be found or perfect replacement can be made...........leave alone.

Damaged black paint on big Robby...............................................................repair.

Rusty litho......................................................................................................leave alone.

Missing gun on robot-warboat.......................................................................leave alone!!!!!

In other words I only repair what can be repaired 100%.

Flat paint, mechanisms etc. Retouching a litho is a waste of time,

you end up with a handpainted robot.

The exeption is for ex. a doorless Door-robot. I would stick in a

fake door with a litho print just to keep out the draft.

Of course rarety modifies these dogma's

a 12 year old post!  

I found this an interesting read.    

I find that many of my own feelings on this subject mirror the late, great H.I. Gosses.

Two examples of my thoughts on the subject "working vs.non-working"; 

1. - my one armed Flashy Jim.  I purchased knowing he was in a non-working state.  

But, he did have some original (and quite cracked) wiring still attached.  When he first arrived, I was able to get his eyes to illuminate.   That was very cool & I was satisfied with that for some time.    

However, later down the road -  when I got him back out of the cabinet to see his eyes shine, the wire cracked some more & the flow of juice was interrupted...

He's still a fantastic robot for display - but I had to at least attempt to repair.  So, I did.   I switched his wiring, got his motor running, he walks... well enough & his eyes are bright again.   

He's still missing his left arm...  I actually had a reproduction sparkling Mike in the garage at the time.   It would have been a close approximation - but it would have been wrong (in my mind) me to do that.  

He's a fine robot - if I were to put batteries in his remote today and get nothing... that is how he would remain.   

2. - my Nomura Earthman.   also purchased knowing he had some issues.   

When he arrived, his gun would light, but no other signs of life.  

I really only opened him for one reason - his trousers were on backwards.  Surely if  were to place him in the cabinet like that, the other robots would hassle him to no end.  Gun or no gun.

So, he got some time on M.G.'s table.   And let me tell you - mine wasn't the first table he'd been on.   Little hussy Earthman...

His wiring and soldering was a mess, but easily cleaned up.

Two tabs broke in the effort to make his pants proper again.   I made two small loops of .66mm copper wire and soldered them inside and bent to approximate the old tabs.   They worked great, he closed tightly.

He now has knickers to be proud of - and all of his functions are back.   

As far as surface repair of litho, paint, or rust, etc...

I have used certain waxing steps to clean and protect better, - but I'm not of the thought that I should do any touching up to any paint or litho.   Evidence of that philosophy can be seen old Jim.  

He will remain worn, and last longer than I will :)

I completely understand both sides of the argument.  

Let it sit - it could always be repaired if you wish to try, or allow it to remain a piece of static art.

or, take a stab & see what might be gained.  

I will say that of all of my operations - none have ever been on a non-working, minty piece.   All have had their little issues.

If I were to have a never-opened, fantastic piece in front of me - refusing to do his robot duties... I think I would allow that.

And perhaps the same side of the coin - if I were to find a $100, non-working Earthman today - I would likely buy him and set him on the shelf as is.   Knowing that a repair is possible.  as long as his trousers are facing the right direction.

Newbies or old timers alike - share your thoughts.

Others who had input on this original thread - have your thoughts and habits changed in the 12 years?

- peace, 

20170330_211728.jpg

DSC01858.JPG

20170403_111736.jpg

MG

I have always bought working robots having said that l could never afford the best, ie mint condition in mint box.

However although not mechanically minded I am pretty good at cosmetic renovation. 

If they stop working and you are not selling then maybe leave alone.

I mention selling because fact is non working with a lot of buyers can reduce value by half.

For displaying and keeping as robothunter said, another day they might spark into life.

I have put batteries in and as long as 1 hour later a glimmer of life happens, a bit of carefully applied oil and a fully working robot no major surgery. Result!

Missing parts. My view, if  you are keeping for yourself then for display purposes as long as what you use to replace is aesthetically pleasing then your let's face it your bodge job should still satisfy your own eyes.

Feel proud your plastic, cardboard,clay, blue tac or whatever manages to deceive it is in my mind a great artistic fix.

Maybe the same with litho and rust if you feel confident light renovation could achieve good results but a could affect a future sale with your tinkering resulting in devaluing the robot.

If selling then all non original parts and renovation I think should be highlighted.

I know already that a lot of views I have expressed here will be sacrilege to some member's but these are my opinions on how I displayed my less than perfect robots.

Good resurrected topic MG

Archived