Red Shouldered Hawk

Eagle

In the back yard..I decided to climb today while they were out. Felt good.. They are pretty big as Hawks go, Over 50 inch wingspan. They leave feather every day. If you look close at the tree to the left of the nest you can see where they are stripping the bark to line the nest.  

I think they are using their beaks. The bark on Dawn Redwood is pretty easy to strip. It looks like those stringy cheese sticks kids eat,,,it get real soft when stripped off.  These Redwood are amazing. The dawn redwood tree was long thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 1941 by Mr. T. Kan while performing a survey in the Hubei and Sichuan provinces of China. The discovery was confirmed in 1946 after the end of the Second World War. It is the sole species of its genre.These trees grow to over 165 ft..The verigated trunks are beautiful It is a deciduous tree and looses the needles in fall. My pan is to cut down some willows and populate the back of the property with them. I have three now and plan on planting 4 more.  http://dawnredwood.org/GALLERY.htm