Patrol Robot by Yonezawa - 3D Aided Conversion

Brian..

We all want the legendary Patrol Robot so I made my own. 

No. it's not a new build. Only about 10% is 3D printed, the rest is a stock Smoker.  I've used 1mm panels to alter the repro. It's a technique that allows the printer to handle the graphics, making painting much easier.

Now that I've run through the process I can see how it would be possible to disguise the plates on the body and face. 

IMG_20200811_135613106.jpg

This is the original in Mr Kitahara's collection:

FRONT.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• Ranger

• Roboto

• RoboDerby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, this is nothing like yours. I don't have the skills to rework the innards so I'm improvising. Many of us will be happy with a look-alike that doesn't cost a small fortune. 

As you know, the Smoking Robot has a pump action for the smoke unit - three puffs. This isn't long enough to let my siren get up to speed. The cam mechanism needs altering -- not something I'm good at. On the plus side, the siren assembly slides into place in a couple of seconds. On the down side it's not entirely accurate to the original and it's a feeble whistle.  The Patrol robot walks along with a lighted chest - then it halts - then starts up again.  It seems to be stopping for a think.  I need to fill that gap with a credible siren. I may resort to an electronic chip to let me make an accurate looking siren without cutting the head. If it looks right, I'm happy. 

The only really difficult part is flattening the chest panel just enough to put a plate on top. A couple of cut outs in the face and chest are all that's needed and everything slips back in place.  Spray the lot blue, add the final cosmetic panels and paint the details.  Bingo. 

I may post details of how I did this, so that anyone who is half handy can have a go. 

That came out well Brian.  I haven’t a clue who made the version I have and it’s not very well done but I am starting to like it a bit more now. I am sure I could do a better one but for now I have other things I want to do. 

30CC70FB-9547-492D-8F32-4FFB1D9699E9.jpeg

Robodude, I'm just reworking that front panel to hide the seam better and I'm redesigning the siren to make it more accurate to the original.  I'll post a video once it's back together. 

Ranger,

This has all the hallmarks of the "Reed Collection". (you may remember his , let's call it "folk art collection" sold a few years back at Vectis and was badly described)

He bought a few toys for parts of me and told me at the time he was only missing 3 robots and his collection was complete.

I tried to invite myself to visit him (I believe it was the Orkneys or somewhere equally remote), and luckily he ignored that message!