Boxes: Cleaning

bartzenegger

i have been on the prowl for a attacking martian box.

well i got one...... yeah!!

anyway it has some surface mold and dirt on box cover. it is very light on the the surface at that.

how can i clean this?

thanks

:) Maybe first a light try with compressed air, but not very strong and not very close. Maybe a can of the computer keyboard cleaner compressed air? Then a soft dusting over with a soft white cotton cloth, not too hard, and keep turning the cloth to keep a clean side of the cloth at all times, so as to brush away anything that will, but not scratch the box in the process. Perhaps a very light pass with a cloth very faintly dampend with rubbing alcohol or ammonia and quickly followed by a clean dry one to immediately dry? This may improve -remove a bit of the mold? Keep us posted, because we all have had boxes like that. Good luck, -Larry 7

:) Maybe first a light try with compressed air, but not very strong and not very close. Maybe a can of the computer keyboard cleaner compressed air? Then a soft dusting over with a soft white cotton cloth, not too hard, and keep turning the cloth to keep a clean side of the cloth at all times, so as to brush away anything that will, but not scratch the box in the process. Perhaps a very light pass with a cloth very faintly dampend with rubbing alcohol or ammonia and quickly followed by a clean dry one to immediately dry? This may improve -remove a bit of the mold? Keep us posted, because we all have had boxes like that. Good luck, -Larry 7

thanks , great ideas larry . i tried putting a little tooth paste on a rag and letting it dry (thanks heeenky) . it took off some.

think i need a sand blaster!

i swear there is bird -doo on it.- never seen that b4!

ok , i tried many different things ! the best for this box was a very light dose of rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. i first tested in a very small area , then a little bigger and so on. it did great. b4 there was a 60 % dusting of mold and dirt on cover now there is a bout a 10% .

it was risky but pd off. :)

That box came out lookin' good, Bart!

I've found that rubbing alcohol (used sparingly) works best for me about 95% of the time. Every once in awhile, though, it will dissolve more than just the surface dirt. I HATE when that happens!

Yeah...I discovered that recently when I clean something on my laptop with a little bit of rubbing alcohol...I used to use it to clean EVERYTHING thinking it was "inoffensive"

:) Bart, that box is nice! Thank you for telling us what to use, as we all have had a box like that at one time or another. -Larry 7

it amazing what products will really work!

larry i think i got this info from you ! so thhhaaaaannnkkkk yoouuuu!!! bow bow bow

A TSP solution works for paper products just keep your cloth on the dry side. Naptha (lighter fluid) works great for removing grime and doesn't attack plastics or painted surfaces. Brake fluid also works for heavy grime removal.

These are tried and true in the graphics industry.

thanks g- pal i tried lighter fluid- did not work at all left a very very very small stain. but great info.

thanks dr.a im just glad it worked ! otherwize would of been another reason why someone wouldnt buy my house. :D i can hear it now "you have mold on that box!! it could of spread though the airducts of the house"

• Brian.. changed the title to Boxes: Cleaning

Archived