Attacking Martian Project

Brian..

I have an idea for a project that will keep me occupied for a while. To begin with, it relies on copying the walking mechanism on the later, small Horikawa Attacking Martians. I've never studied it before, I've just taken it for granted, but when you look closely at it then you see how compact and efficient it is. 

The walking action seems to be an afterthought, with most of the action directed at the body. The motor drives a vertical shaft that goes through to that distinctive low-slung metal crotch.  The arms are not driven. 

I had an original that I could part dismantle and this allowed me to copy the design. It's a tight fit inside those legs with a wire strut at the front rather than the rear. One massive advantage is that the legs now take about 10 seconds to fit to the body and there's tons of room inside the chest. I used the blue motors which are a compromise between the fast yellow and slow white motors. 

I am slowly working through the Mighty 8 robots but, jeez, it's like a proper job. 

Here's the original that shows that distinctive low-slung box. There's a little crank at the front that fits into a slot at the top of the leg. There's not much plastic around those slots, which explains why they break so easily. 

IMG_20200613_195952349.jpg

And here's the copy - a little rough and ready but it's the action that matters:

IMG_20200613_200216751.jpg

Here it is scuttling across the test pad. It's very stable, thank goodness.  You can see the crank at the top front of the legs, with an axle at the rear. Concealed inside the front of the leg is a wire strut that keeps the feet parallel to the ground. I made a jig to ensure that the struts can be assembled with precision. Great fun!  

Great idea for an undertaking  Brian! It has been wonderful to see you so active on new projects of late. If I have learned anything recently, it is how much time and effort goes into these projects. I counted up the number of those interested in your Mighty 8 Recently and realized that on my single Ender 5 Pro, it might take me over a month to print the parts, let alone do any painting. This of course doesn’t even include the time it takes to design in the first place.  That said, I am having one heck of a good time learning these skills, and I am glad to see you having fun yourself coming up with new creations.

And they used that system on most of their smaller robots I think: The Engine robot, the Roto robot and the smaller Attacking Martians all come to mind(Also Mr, Zerox !!!  Very cool Brian !

This is a project for the resin printer down the line in August. Here's an example of the difference between regular printing and resin printing:

IMG_20200614_162432517.jpg

5 hours ago, Brian.. said:

This is a project for the resin printer down the line in August. Here's an example of the difference between regular printing and resin printing:

IMG_20200614_162432517.jpg

THE DIFFERENCE IN THE PRINTING METHODS IS INCREDIBLE! I HAVE SEEN THAT SILVER "ENGINE ROBOT" AT AUCTION A COUPLE OF TIMES-IT ALWAYS GOES FOR WAAAY BEYOND MY BUDGET!  HOW ABOUT A 3D PRINTED VERSION OF THAT ONE BRIAN ??? I BET THERE WOULD BE ALOT OF 'DROMERS INTERESTED IN ONE OF THOSE!!! THAT ROBOT IS FROM SOUTH KOREA  WASNT IT? VERY COOL-I ACTUALLY LIKE THE LOOKS OF IT BETTER THAN THE HORIKAWA ENGINE ROBOT

• 1 month later...

No, Jeremy, the old pla printer for the body and limbs, the old resin printer for the head and chest.