NASA 3D printable models.

RoboDerby

Some of you may be aware of this already. But, I came across something pretty cool today for those of you who might have access to a 3D printer. NASA has a ton of different models of their space stuff in STL format. I’m definitely going to print some of these up myself.

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models

Nice.....lots of stuff......I downloaded the Lunar Module and their latest ,,,,looks like a Mars Rover wheel.

So having spent some more time looking at the NASA site, it appears that not all of the models on the link that I posted above have been converted to STL. However, if you click the link in the description on that page that says “printable models” it will take you to the following page on the NASA site that lists the models that have been converted to STL so far. This link will take you directly to the printable models page.

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models/printable

In looking at one of the models that has not yet been converted, it appears that this download is composed of files in the 3DS and TGA formats. I’m not sure how difficult these file types would be to convert to STL for printing.

As for those models already in STL, it seems to me the majority of them would require a ton of supports and many of the models appear to have quite delicate parts which might be difficult to free from supports without breaking. Though they are in the right format, I wouldn’t say that they have been optimized for printing and most would probably fair better if first divided up into pieces to minimize supports and then glued together after they are printed. That said, the SLS launch systems (rockets) that are available in STL look AWESOME. The Titan submarine is pretty cool as well. Though what an astronaut would need with a submarine is beyond me. I suppose they are really banking on finding that water on Mars.

A great resource. The models are extremely detailed.

That sub would come in handy to explore the liquid methane seas of Titan.  No smoking on deck!

Whoa! Cool video Brian. In your original message that appeared in my email, you suggested a resin printer would be more suitable to handle the details. Speaking of resin printing, how goes the progress? You haven’t mentioned It for awhile.

No doubt as I become more proficient, I might be curious to give it a try myself. There are some very talented artists out there who have created beautiful models and as I have looked at some of them, I definitely see that PLA would not do them justice. 

34 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

That sub would come in handy to explore the liquid methane seas of Titan. 

WOW Brian! I just read an article on the proposed Titan exploration. Definitely some interesting challenges to sort out to make it possible. But it would certainly be an interesting exploration. I’d love to see the photos.

Yes, some of these models are so detailed that you would only be able to print them adequately using a resin printer. Spaceships are bristling with fine, flimsy bits. 

I have been busy with my little resin printer, but have been printing small detailed components. The BIG affordable resin printer is due to be released in June - the Mars Saturn. It looks like an absolute peach.  It will make large robots a possibility. I started using a new, more flexible resin that doesn't break so easily when you drop it. 

You may well find some of the pieces on the NASA site finding their way into projects. Thanks for the link.