Mighty 8 Kaleidoscope Robot Project

Brian..

I drew up the files for the Mighty 8 robot last year, but achieving the reliable slow circular motion of the kaleidoscope proved difficult. I finally sourced the ideal motor from China - I think they are intended for cameras - and they are perfect. They will power other interesting actions and I've stocked up on them because I just know they'll disappear once the factory overstock sells up. . 

The whole build has been fiddly. I reduced the size of the robot to make test printing less tedious. The screen effect was hard to work out, but contributions from various members, especially John's breakdown of a repair piece, explained it. It's actually quite simple once you know the trick, but it defeated me. 

It's not finished yet, but here's a work in progress shot of that hypnotic kaleidoscope effect. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• RoboDerby

• Roboto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man o man Brian. That effect looks spectacular. Can’t wait until you bring this guy out from the shadows. Line starts here fellas if Brian offers to make any extras for us. 😉

Any chance you’d share a link for the motors Brian? I wouldn’t mind having 4 or 5 around for myself possible. 

Jeremy, search for "N20 Full Metal Gear Motor dc 3v" and you'll find a range of these motors that vary slightly. You'll find the one that best suits the specific project that you're working on  - long drive arm, right angle drive, crank cam, offset drive etc. Mine is the one with the little cog poking out from the side.  It sits alongside the kaleidoscope disk and powers it directly. I added a little screw adjuster to allow the motor to move slightly to keep good contact. A spring would probably work better. There's an entire metal gear train built into this tiny unit for just 99 cents.

surever.jpg

OMG BRIAN !!!   THAT IS JUST FANTASTIC!!! PLEASE SIGN ME UP IF YOU ARE GONNA SELL EM'  -RICH😝 THAT KALEIDOSCOPE EFFECT IS AMAZING--WELL DONE !!!!!

I've been doing a great job not buying anything at all for the past few years, but this might break my robot-fast. Keep us posted.

Once this virus has eased off I'll be in a position to deliver on this and the Russian robots. At the moment everything is a little awkward and supplies are unreliable.