Danger, Warning, Twister Robot.

robothut

So I wanted to show that the linear slide ratcht wheels can make a nice clicking sound by just angling up the axle slots a bit. Also makes for a very positive walking action. I also wanted to test a change to the top of the legs where they rub "slide" on the body base part. I reduced the contact between the leg tops and the body base from 100% to about 10 %. Then I wanted to test the new Bead Bearings on the body turning or in this case Twisting action. Added in flashing Leds and a audio sound bite that seems to go with the robot look.

If interested in a build video leave comments on the youtube comment section.

I also wanted to change the body turning linkage to operate from a single leg drive so that if the dual drive TT motor output shafts get out of sink the mechanics will not bind up.

DSC06367.jpg

This is a great build John. I wonder, would larger diameter wheels increase the distance gained with each step? This might make the movements more proportionate in appearance. A better gain and perhaps a slower motor might be something worth considering for a variation. Also is there a way to adjust the gear ratio so that the body turn is not the same rate as the legs alternating? All just food for thought as usual.

Nope too all the questions and ideas.

Larger wheels would have no effect, the distance traveled is set by the amount of leg movement, right now I feel the robot moves right along.

There is zero lose in the ratchet wheels with the new normally locked design. And I stayed silent in the video so you could here the ratchet sound that is made by the wheels in this simple design.

Since I have done the slower motor speed before I wanted the faster walking and body twisting look more like the B9 robot when its is freaking out. Also I can not buy any more of the slower speed motors as they come from china, have not found a USA seller for the 120:1 TT motors yet.

Since the body is designed to turn by the motion of the legs they will be tied together in this design. But to answer your question, yes I could used the horizontal motor drive system like in the Roto-matic robots I did and then use the upper gearmotor shaft to control the body action at any speed or timing. But I wont. this is the way I wanted it to be.

Nice ! Indeed this mashup Bot does move right along. The flashing lights look cool..

Lazy susan bearing using 'beads' is very creative as well as affordable.

Those gear motors are proving to be great work horses for many a build. 😎👌

You've nailed those non-ratchet feet. I thought you'd added a clicker, but I see (hear) it's the rise and fall of the wheels. I can also see a useful alteration to the top of the slide foot that reduces friction. Those base screw fixings should make life easier - you can ease off the tightness of the fit, but you can't make alterations with superglue!

Here is a video of the 1977 AHI Lost in Space robot with twisting body action and linear walking action.