Forbidden Planet Sets & Props

robothunter

Recently on this board somebody mentioned that the blaster pistols from the movie Forbidden Planet were used in a Three Stooges movie called The Three Stooges in Orbit. I had seen them along with almost all the costumes used in Queen of Outer Space and remember a guy running accross the street in a scene from the Time Machine wearing a crewman's uniform. But I didn't know the guns had made it to another film as well.

So since I don't have a life and have nothing better to do with my money I bought a copy of this dog of a movie and was amazed at what I saw as I finally watched it while stuck at home with the flu.

Not only are the blaster pistols used, but so are the blaster rifles (with something that looks like a bucket added to the end of it) as well as the force field posts and the energy meters that lined Dr. Morbiu's lab. And the entire Astrogator from the center of the C57-D saucer is also used.

It was a real hoot to watch this horrible peice of crap movie (in high speed fast foward until you see something that catches your eye!) and to see props from my favorite Sci-Fi film being re-cycled like this. You only see the Astrogator for a brief moment, but the other stuff is in many, many scenes.

And that was fun and made it worthwhile to watch. ;)

iv never seen a three stoges movie but i love some of the shorts.In fact i didnt even know the three stoges made movies.It is interesting that their are so many re-used sci-fi props in other forms of media.I guess its like how lost in space uses the same three monsters over and over again :D

Robothunter, don't you be diss'n the Stooges.

As kids, the Stooges were held in high esteem by my brother and I.

To this days, I can still do the Curlie shuffle with the best of them... :D

post-2-1109634407.jpg

Pat check out your time machine movie again, look at the part where Geroge is messing with the talking rings, you will see many C57d ship props in that same room! And as for Krell lab props, I just bought the 45 dvd disc set of Twilight zones and bits and peices of forbidden planet pop up so often that maeking a list would be like writing a book!

In fact there is a episode about a guy that makes toys for liveing and he is being preshured to make his new robot toy design cheep by the boss and when they put the toys blue prints up on the board to look at they are basicaly the Robby the robot blue prints with changes made to them, like a new head and so on.

Robothunter, don't you be diss'n the Stooges.

As kids, the Stooges were held in high esteem by my brother and I.

To this days, I can still do the Curlie shuffle with the best of them... :D

:lol: Met them in '62 at C.N.E. Toronto. Great show!!!

post-2-1109638026.jpg

I have never seen anything of the Three Stooges movies or shorts, only photos. Were they like Laurel & Hardy or more like Abbott & Costello?

Morbius do you have ay memories of meeting them, were they nice people?

They were really nice, kinda small people. I was about 5 and they didn't seem much taller than myself!! Very friendly, smiley and wonderful guys. Among other things, they did a paint routine wereby they were dumping cans of paint onto each other and other slap-stick while 'trying' to re-decorate the set.

Moe was the leader with the bowl cut, Shemp was the really hyper one, Curley was the big short-blonde-haired goofy one with the high voice who was very easily frustrated, and Larry was the weird curly haired one who always had a look on his face like he smelled something really rotten. Shemp was the manic one. Larry was also in real life a concert pianist, violinist, harpist and gifted with most other instruments. He showed his talent in a lot of the episodes while entertaining at wealthy dignitaries' homes or clubs. Or, in one episode they took a one week course to become dentists!

Moe was always beating up on the other two, driving nails into their heads, hitting them with hammers or boards, or poking their eyes out (seemingly) and pulling them along by their ears or nose with pliers or other tools. Earlier episodes are the best.

Most of their shorts, of which there were a few hundred, had to do with making quick and easy money during the depression, taking on jobs as plumbers, cooks, waiters, and repairmen of all types. They'd usually talk their way into wealthy people's or gangster's homes and convince them they need some kind of repair and all hell would break loose. They'd generally use the same actors from short to short with slightly different make-up. These were filmed from the early '30's till late '50's. I believe they came to Toronto in 1962 as part of their new-found popularity on television, and didn't want to be forgotten..comedy was changing.

I remember the "3 Stooges in Orbit" very well. Their inventor friend creates a secret combo submarine/helicopter/ATV/boat vehicle that gets them in a lot of trouble when they 'repair' it in the desert. As ROBOTHUNTER says, a terrible movie but if you're a fan, it's watchable very occasionally.

Best to rent a compilation on DVD or tape or check you listings. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Our daughter knows they're only pretending to beat each other to a pulp.

:unsure: Darryl...you sound like you know a lot more of the history of these guys than I do, so step in if I'm in err.

My brother and I watched these things all the time; they were on at 6:00 Saturday mornings during the early '60's.

Thanks Morbius!

They seemed to be a great bunch of guys in life, very different from their movie persona, thank you for the insight.

I will have to see if there are any of their movies over on DVD.

If you rent one with the episodes, just be sure it isn't one with Joe Besser (late 1950's/early 1960's). You probably won't find it watchable. Earlier episodes the better. They also did some shorts in '3D' with items being hurled at the audience.

I think they had a western film as well as 'Orbit'. Also, "3 Stooges Meet Hercules" just came to mind; I think that was filmed in 1962. Don't think it was that memorable.... :blink:

If you rent one with the episodes, just be sure it isn't one with Joe Besser (late 1950's/early 1960's).  You probably won't find it watchable.  Earlier episodes the better.  They also did some shorts in '3D' with items being hurled at the audience.

I think they had a western film as well as 'Orbit'. Also, "3 Stooges Meet Hercules" just came to mind; I think that was filmed in 1962. Don't think it was that memorable.... 

To everyone and anyone on this board whom I might have offended with my cruel and rude appraisal of the classic film Three Stooges in Orbit, I humbly apologize!!

I had no idea there were so many Stooges fans in our little robot collectiong circle!

I also loved them as a kid, but like many things you re-visit many years later in life, I was shocked by just how cheap and low budget this movie was. Not to mention just plain dumb! How could I have loved this as a kid?LOL!!

When I compare this to one of my other favorite movies that I watched as a kid, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, it just doesn't hold up. I STILL watch this movie over and over again and it rocks!

So love me for my love of robots, hate me for my dissapointment in the Stooges! ;)

:) I'm with you, robothunter. Loved them as a kid, I can still watch the short films, but I probably couldn't sit through a full lenth Stooges movie now. Now the Jerry Lewis martian comedy movie from 1959 or so, that's another story! -Larry 7

:P You're forgiven, ROBOTHUNTER (if you can give me a deal on a metallic blue remote Planet with rubber hands)! You DO have too many of those wonderful toys in there!! Not to mention the repro' cabinet. Time to spring-clean!

No offence taken Robothunter, I'll just have to drag

a saw accross your melon if we ever have the pleasure

of meeting... :D

Just to keep this topic on robots, I recall one Stooges

movie, Have Rocket Will Travel , in which the Stooges

were being hunted by a robot...

The original Three Stooges were Moe, Larry and Curly.

Curly died in his 40's of a stroke and was replaced by

Shemp. Shemp died and was replaced by Joe. Joe moved

on to movies and TV and was replaced by Curly Joe.

Moe, Curly and Shemp were brothers in real life. Moe

was the leader of the Stooges and was married to

Harry Houdini's cousin. As mentioned Larry was a world

class musician and a pro boxer. Curly was considered a

master of physical comedy and most people's favorite

Stooge. The Stooges were attributed with many

advancements in film comedy. They were the first group

to extensively use the Foley system for adding sound

effects to pictures. If you had to compare them with

their contemporaries, the Marx Brothers come to mind.

From the 1930's through the 50's, the stooges made about

200 comedy shorts. They were payed very little by Columbia,

as 15 minute shorts were considered "filler" between the real

movies. Moe actually worked as a handyman at Columbia

part time to suppliment his income. The Stooges made about

8 shorts a year and were payed a few hundred dollars for each.

With television, the Stooges became very popular and started

making feature movies. During the 1960's and 70's the Stooges

did movies, live college tours and saturday morning cartoons.

By 1975, the original three were dead and by the 80's network

TV stopped airing their work. Their physical comedy was

considered too violent and their ethnic parodies were no longer

considered politically correct.

I wrote this from memory, so please correct me if I missed anything...

post-2-1109692265.gif

:rolleyes: Thanks, RN for the proper sequence of events. I've never been able to keep it all straight. Did you get all that Mr. Zerox?