Coming Soon? RoboDerby’s 3D printed robots.

RoboDerby

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoboDerby

• robothut

• Brian..

• Roboto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, robothut said:

Have you looked at this translucent red PLA 1.75 on amazon free shipping.

I have seen that one. Unfortunately, this is a photo of the color of the “red” posted by one of the reviewers (next to an Orange from another company.)

C066D4FF-6E68-4AA7-8B3C-05DE26AEE96D.jpeg.b9c992074493ec247448f39c376808ff.jpeg

The other is PETG I think. I’ve been looking. Atomic makes a fantastic looking translucent red. But very pricy. Same with Matter Hackers, I think it was. Both are out of stock. But if nothing cheaper comes along before either of those restocks, I may bite the bullet as I only intend to use it for small details anyway. So it should last me awhile.

The guy in your review printed in VASE mode, that is a single layer, that will not show the color of any translucent filament correctly. But what can you do, these days its very hard to get any color that you want. We will have to keep looking.

I do not know what you plan to do with the translucent red, but I bought some red PLA that was not sold as translucent but it does light up great with a Red LED. Worked great for Robot Eyes and Domes that light up. In fact have a look at the Sky Torpedo robots I did, I used it for the light up thruster units.

39 minutes ago, robothut said:

I do not know what you plan to do with the translucent red, but I bought some red PLA that was not sold as translucent but it does light up great with a Red LED.

Thanks for the links John. It is hard to see in the video but I have added ports in the back of the feet for “tail lights.” I’m actually pretty excited to test the plan that I have for the triggers that will make the lights flash. You can see part of this design aspect in the tabs that I have added at the tops of the legs. I’ll run the wiring and add the LEDs in a few days. But I’ll be taking the next day or two off to build my Prusa and eat the Gummi Bears that the company includes in the kit. Ha! Nice touch Prusa. I think I’m still a couple of weeks out from having a completed design and thus needing the filament. But I may go ahead with the one that you linked me to from Profit. Thanks again John.

Well... had anyone asked me last month my thoughts on whether the film industry in the US would open up again and allow me to get back to work before I ended up on the street, I would have said that I was cautiously optimistic. I think now, with COVID numbers surging in the US and little hope of any more assistance from the government after July, it is time to switch gears to pessimistic preparedness. As a result, while I intend to continue working on my robot projects, it looks like I will be spending at least part of my time over the next several weeks learning coding and possibly taking a more serious look into CAD as well. Nearly 25 years in the film industry and I am very proud to say it. But, I think it might be time for a change while I still have some resources at my disposal.

If there is anything that I have discovered about myself over the years, it is that I can pretty much learn anything if I am motivated and I am guessing there is little that is more motivating than self preservation. Who knows? Maybe along with saving my own hide, I might also learn some new skills that I can apply to more complex and interesting future personal projects.

Wish me luck gang, not just in putting myself on a new career path, but also in getting this project completed while I still have outlets to plug my printers into.

No worries, I’ll survive. Hell, I intend to come back even stronger. Nonetheless, good vibes are appreciated. My best wishes to all who are facing their own challenges right now.

(My apologies Brian for the off topic post, admittedly better suited to FB.  But, as a longtime film gypsy with a healthy case of social anxiety, frankly some of y’all are about as close as I get to having friends and I have really enjoyed chatting and sharing with you all over the past year.)

More updates on RoboDerby3D #1 to follow soon.

Tomorrow though, I’ll be working at unlocking more Prusa Gummi Bear achievements.

5291E526-21CD-4F41-ADCB-A081C50367C6.jpeg.368b5b887beacbc57b824f33b0f871fa.jpeg1092FFF5-0957-4975-9E0A-65338FB032F5.jpeg.95add2a13c4d1ea304fabf0dee361c29.jpeg

Good luck, Jeremy. I have to admire your can-do attitude.

You'll enjoy the Prusa. My first one (of three) is still running reliably after three years of constant use. It's easily my most reliable printer. 

One of the Best printer's you could buy. The Mini is supposed to print  better for less money, some say, but I guess there is a back log on shipping them, so the MK3s is the way to go. Its a 5 to 8 hour build , so get on with it buddy. With a belly full of gummy bears it might even be a 4 hour build. I guess there is no rush as we all seem to have extra time right now.

Jeremy

Wishing you all the luck from England.

I love your up beat spirit and you deserve to do well in all your ventures 👍

Thanks all for the support and encouragement. Well, I got my Prusa up and running. Just one quick test print so far. But what a sweet machine and a really cool project to build it, especially that extruder assembly. Though, John..5 to 8 hours...? Lol. I wish. But let’s just say it took my a Smith House 5 minutes and leave it at that. 😜

Even cooler than getting the Prusa up and running, I also got to some rough wiring on my 3D printed bot in progress. This allowed me to test my strategy for intermittently grounding LEDs in the toy, thus having flashing light options. I have added small brass grounding plates to recesses in the plastic tabs at the front of the legs. These tabs are wired to the negative sides of the LEDs on their respective sides. When the leg swings, the brass plates move in an arc and make intermittent contact with wipers that I have installed in the main frame of the robot’s body. The wipers are made by grounding a short piece of 5mm brass tube to the negative side of the batteries. Then a 4mm spring is dropped into the tubing and a shorter segment of solid 4mm shaft is inserted on top of the spring. The spring keeps the segment of shaft pressed against the inside of the leg and thus also against the grounding plate installed on the leg when in the proper position. Works like a charm.

Here is a video of the LEDs in action and some photos of the parts. After that I’ll add a link to a video of the Prusa in action.

Thanks again for the support my friends.

131EE2BD-39C5-4576-8546-59298D2743FD.jpeg.e4c1074567c6ac06e72e94263935329f.jpeg

C75A758E-646C-4212-BC0F-2651117D59AE.jpeg.b955f7ea70f5cb0ec089664207b62f77.jpeg

29BEE3D6-D18B-4194-B30B-10BB49D8A16F.jpeg.6aa3274f85cd9238a10e5f1468fffb7c.jpeg

763111E9-C807-4773-84B2-BFC45A176DD1.jpeg.fc45cdaad4df7e77d652ca874317af4b.jpeg