Coming Soon? RoboDerby’s 3D printed robots.

RoboDerby

Look out John and Brian, here I come! 😉 So excited to receive my first 3D printer. Time to start learning. 

Don’t think this means I won’t still be pestering you both for copies of your own creations. 

Oh, and check out my awesome new Riggbot!

C897D1CD-B63F-470D-BEFA-BF966241C160.jpeg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoboDerby

• robothut

• Brian..

• Roboto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Brian.. said:

Good luck, Jeremy. That's a really good printer you've chosen. 

Thanks Brian. I know you had suggested learning the software first. But I suppose I needed to motivate myself by purchasing a printer. At least while I am learning, I can have some fun with John’s files on Thingiverse in the meantime. You and John have both been inspirations to me from the beginning. So thank you for that as well. Simply loving your Soviet robots.

Yes, you'll learn more from printing John's designs than from any book. You'll also see just how ingenious his robots really are.

Designspark Mechanical is still my CAD of choice, even though Fusion is technically superior. There are many tutorials that will guide you through those awkward first weeks. I also noticed that I burnt my fingers regularly in the early days. Now I'm either more careful or I've lost all feeling in my fingertips. 

26 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

Yes, you'll learn more from printing John's designs than from any book. You'll also see just how ingenious his robots really are.

Designspark Mechanical is still my CAD of choice, even though Fusion is technically superior. There are many tutorials that will guide you through those awkward first weeks. I also noticed that I burnt my fingers regularly in the early days. Now I'm either more careful or I've lost all feeling in my fingertips. 

Yes, per your earlier recommendation, I downloaded DesignSpark last year. Having only a MacBook Pro at the time, I even went out and purchased a Dell solely for the purpose of running the software. Looks like I’ll be turning the Dell on soon for the first time since I downloaded the software.

As for burns, between working in kitchens through my teens and early twenties followed by nearly 25 years abusing my hands as a grip, there isn’t much left of these paws that isn’t made up of callouses and scar tissue. You should hear the sounds my wrist makes when I’m cutting metal with the tin snips. Sounds like popcorn in a microwave.

Even with all of the metal work involved with my Pug conversion project, I haven’t had a single cut and I don’t wear gloves except when using the Dremel cutting tool or in instances where I am heating the metal with a torch. I’ve always told the fellas that I work with that if they don’t wear gloves, they won’t need gloves.

Congratulations Jeremy.  So the ender 5 pro is the one to choose? It will be great to see you projects.

59 minutes ago, 6Stelab9 said:

Congratulations Jeremy.  So the ender 5 pro is the one to choose? It will be great to see you projects.

Thanks Stephane! Yes I went with the Ender 5 Pro. Initially I was looking at the Ender 3 Pro. But I was having trouble finding one in stock from a seller that was reputable. Eager to get started, I found a 5 Pro on eBay and took a chance on it. Both machines seem well reviewed with the 5 having some design differences and a slightly larger build area in regards to the Z access. The Pro versions seem to include some upgrades that you would likely be adding eventually anyway to the standard versions. So it seems worth the extra cost to go with the Pro line.

30 minutes ago, ROBODUDE said:

Congratulations Jeremy!  Looking forward to your first project--Good Luck !!!

Thank you Rich! Looking forward to having a project to share.

This should keep Jeremy busy for some time now. The only down side to a ender 5 design is the large foot print of the machine. My wife would never let me take up that much space in the kitchen where I keep the Prusa MK3S. Should be big fun for you in these strange times.

I was thinking of buying an Ender 3......perhaps we can give tips when we all have machines up & running.

That's a great looking Jupiter Robot...The colors are cool.🤖

Now we know what you did with your stimulus check.

share you first builds with us!

I keep toying with the idea of a 3D printer too, just don't have the time to devote to it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress! So far I have designed and printed my own motor mount and some gears. There will likely be some modifications as the overall design progresses. But I am thrilled to have made it this far in such a short time. Of course, I have to thank John and Brian for their inspiration, encouragement, and advice. I have been quite a pest to John, I imagine, with my long winded emails and constant questions. But I never would have made it this far without your support. Thanks for everything John, Brian, and the rest of the gang who have been rooting for me. I swear I will have a robot to share with you all eventually, dang it!

Oh, and the nail I am using for the upper axle is only temporary until my proper 3mm shafts arrive in the mail.