BUCK ROGERS PAINTING

Phil R

Just got back from Eagle's showing him my new Buck Rogers painting. Everyone knows that I make 3/D models and dioramas. I haven't done any paintings for more than a decade other than a watercolor of my granddaughter a few years ago. I've had this concept in my head of my favorite Buck Rogers for some time. I originally wanted to use toys in the painting but since I did the scans of Buck Rogers Sundays I changed to using drawings from the Sundays.  I'm not stealing the designs but paying tribute to what I think is great art from 90 years in the past.  Mark loved the painting and asked if he could get a print of it.  It's impossible to get prints of anything now over 11 x 17. They have to use a photo process and print from the digital image and the only one in the area is closed. I said he can't have a print because the subject matter is something he really liked and I was giving him the original. He said no way. But I won out after he insisted on giving me a saucer creation in return. this one is 13 x 19 but I have another one with completed design and ready to paint 16 x 20.  Unfortunately, my photos aren't that great.

1-scan0150.jpg

2-scan0154.jpg

6-P1010002-001.JPG

1-P1010001-001.JPG

2-P1010001-002.JPG

When I talked to Phil last week..I told him that there were a few of the illustrations he had posted that I really liked. He told me that he wanted to attempt a space rocket scene and he sent a composition of the prototype..It was pretty cool. In return I sent a few photo's of some of the Buck Rogers vehicles I liked. Well I called this week and ask if he had started on the painting. He said yes,,but it was a secret...What ?? So yesterday he ask if I would be home so he could make a visit. Well he came this afternoon with something in plastic..I unwrapped it and was blown away..It was a beautiful composition of some of my favorites..It is beautiful !! I ask if I could get a print and he told me no,,it was too big. After admiring it I started to put it back in the wrapping,,and Phil said,,don't do that the painting is yours.. I am dumbfounded. It was one of the best surprises  ever !!!! It now is in presentation with some of my best aviation art. Thank you Buddy ! 

94110025_10218761771450345_513699636452524032_o.jpg

Indeed..Painting is a skill of itself...I'm a blueprint guy and couldn't paint to save my life.

Looks like he captured  the retro Buck Rogers spot on in this portrait.🚀

• 2 weeks later...

Most impressive, Phil. That tank has wonderful art deco lines. It would have made a wonderful toy. 

The WW 1 tanks had that big front appearance. Marx thought it would make a great space tank. They were right. Just recently traded for one with Mark.

155_1585337482A.jpg

article-2446535-0378F38F0000044D-860_634x373.jpg

Wow that's wonderful work Phil and very sporting and generous of you.  That's YOU!  

Congrats Mark!