• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• RoboDerby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Outstanding Job Brian. Please put me on the list for one of these masterpieces, and contact me when they become available. Take care of yourself, and stay safe--Bob

Brian, fantastic...you've been keeping secrets from me. You know, you could now use the radar screen effect that John created for his Jupiter 2 Radar robot, it would fit perfect into the chest on this build!

I agree with Brady, Brian-That radar screen effect would look fantastic! That chest just screams for a moving, backlighted effect!🤩

The traditional design means that I'm very limited for space in the robot, so I'm trying to keep to a single motor. This is restricting the movement I can get to an oscillating action. It's producing some very acceptable results though. I guess I could use it to give a radar screen effect but it would be a back and forth action. I might give it a whirl. 

I've sent for some new design small motors from China. They have an interesting gear position, slow RPM and low voltage demand that should allow them to power slow circular motion without getting in the way. They might be ideal to finish the Kaleidoscope Mighty 8 that I started last year. The problem is that they may be limited supply and impossible to find in a year's time. The yellow motor is king, but it's not my favourite. 

motor.jpg

I had a play with John's shuffle foot design and it produces a simple and very reliable motion with much less work involved than in a traditional parallel action design.  If I'd used it for the Soviet robot it would have made life a lot easier. I can see why the Lambda robots developed in the way they did - that design just invites you to create a big empty body and fill it with interesting things. 

Here's the piston version. It has a larger body to accommodate the pistons. From the side it looks pregnant. Walking, swinging arms, moving pistons and lighted chest cavity. 

IMG_4577.JPG

spacer.png

The Gun version. Walking, swinging arms, moving gun and lighted helmet.  I hope to add a gun click and perhaps a light later. The gun's shape needs more work though it moves very reliably.

IMG_4578.JPG

The original version with a colour screen effect. Walking, swinging arms, colour effect screen and lighted helmet. 

IMG_4579.JPG

And the Meter version. Walking, swinging arms, moving dial and lighted helmet. The dial is a bit of a botch - I added it late in the build. The final version will be a tidy fit. That chest is just begging for more attention. 

IMG_4580.JPG

Yes, it's much more fun to build variations than to make the same one over and over. This may be one of the characteristics of 3D building that distinguishes it from mass production.  I'll post videos of them in action asap.

Brian, I had a idea for a modification to the sliding ratchet wheel design that you might like to play with. I have not had time as it is cutting, splitting and stacking fire wood time here.

But here is the idea. Instead of the slot that the ratchet wheel axle moves in being in line with the base of the foot, what if the axle slot was angled UP at the end of travel closest to the stationary ratchet finger. As you can see with my design the ratchet finger has a rounded top, this is there so the ratchet wheels will automaticly roll back and away from the stationary ratchet finger when the foot moves forward. This axle slot being in a upward direction would use the weight of the robot to keep the ratchet wheel in contact with the stationary ratchet finger at all times, but the curved top of the finger would let the wheel roll back when the foot moves forward. It might even make a clicking sound as it does so. Here is a picture of what has kept me busy the last few weeks. Wood you say I have been busy ?

DSC06263.jpg

All of the variations are incredible. I’m not sure I can even pick a favorite. Very well done Brian.

Also, nice job on the firewood John. 

You need natural gas, John. That's too much work for us old timers. I will take a look at your suggestion, though my new ratchet system really is fast and easy and clicky. 

Here's the Piston Robot version in action. The result is better than I hoped.