Soviet Robot Prototype 3D Build

Brian..

This started life with Brady's sighting of an unknown Russian robot.

I've split this topic leaving Brady's original sighting of the prototype Soviet robot in Robot Talk. I've moved the 3D printing project here.

hec.jpeg

Yes, I see what you mean.

You need an additional strut to keep the foot parallel with the ground, but is it at the front or does it cross over? Most unusual. Later Horikawas did away with that internal strut but I don't know how you'd do that.  I can see that the inner leg (that ankle) could be extended up to the motor - that would work. 

I'm tempted but goodness knows I've a backlog of builds to complete. 

It translates as "Electromechanical toy robot" . Give him a name, Brady. You found him. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• RoboDerby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Brian, how about...Hector? I always thought that would be a good name for a robot. 

It looks too bemused to be a military machine, he looks more like the space cop type...patrolling Mars, looking for miscreants. 

“Excuse me ma’am...are you aware that the left tail light is out on your cruiser?”

HECTOR THE PROTECTOR- Interplanetary Patrolman!

I think you are correct on the legs, Brian, the feet are directly connected to the motor by internal struts. The outer leg shell slips down over the ankle, and slides loosely into the body until it reaches the diagonal detent at the top of each leg at the end of the stride. The ankle hinge is simply pinned through the foot to the other side so it can rotate freely on the axle.

The cables running from the battery pack up onto the head look great too-Hector the Protector is an awesome name !!!--This robot is SO COOL !!!!  It looks like there is a light above the  eyes, in front of the antenna too--AWESOME !!!!!!

Woww that´s a very cool robot, i like it, have all these nice features to it, it well deserves a 3D back to life, and in our collection. Brian that´s your next project.😜

Here's how I imagine he might look from the front, with a color wheel in the chest...no Picasso, just a quick sketch. Possibly a taller, thinner head, and a longer torso.

BE93BF18-7876-42F7-876B-3831CC66D994.jpeg.3a18a2c399570109237e35893f73730f.jpeg.8aa18a36f6fc1b7e0083ee12ce139853.jpeg274505933_ROB1970033.jpg.d4bc73062bec41816ae87156dbcb7402.jpg

one thing that i noticed is the claws they are well made to grab things, also like the head with the glass, cool features👌

good design Tinplate6🙂

Mr. Rigg, you know, this was not just addressed to Brian. John, you could take a crack at building a prototype of this...prototype.

The graphics in the chest could simply be a color sticker, similar to this plate.

679827FD-674E-4D7D-9E10-D6B93436D4AF.jpeg.6e124cea6d04c75647bf6b1a213b0e04.jpeg

And the circular area could be a version of the rotating gear assembly you built for this Alphabot.

A6CF2720-5C29-47E7-BB1B-D37742FC61F9.jpeg.09e44540607ba2779c433157440e6779.jpeg

I have an idea on how to solve the clear chest and face windows...extend the top and bottoms of the frames and use a simple flat plastic shape, bent on each end. This could then be easily slid into place and avoid a complicated resin casting or a vacuum formed shape with wrinkled corners.

2083766503_ROB1970034.jpg.18d7bc605802ca77c5eb498e8a8fc3be.jpg

My builds use an upright motor. Unfortunately this reduces the space available in the chest. The first real task would be to lie the motor flat or at an angle to give more space. The long motor then dictates the depth of the robot and therefore its size. Easy for John, but I'm not hot on mechanisms.

I spent an evening assembling kits. You know, it's easier to make the things than count out all the little bits. 

I Love it!  Great find Brady - no, you said it - FANTASTIC find! If anyone does a run I am so in! Can we tell from the image if this was just an artist mock up or a physical prototype? I seem to remember in the past that some real looking images of prototypes turned out to be greyscale artist renderings. I have no idea how to tell.

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

My builds use an upright motor. Unfortunately this reduces the space available in the chest. The first real task would be to lie the motor flat or at an angle to give more space. The long motor then dictates the depth of the robot and therefore its size. Easy for John, but I'm not hot on mechanisms.

I spent an evening assembling kits. You know, it's easier to make the things than count out all the little bits. 

So cool Brian--I assume you are talking about Manmos King kits? Really looking forward to these kits and building and painting them !!!!