Soviet Robot Prototype 3D Build

Brian..

11 hours ago, Brian.. said:

It's still a work in progress. I haven't finished the front panel yet, but here are a couple of views. I'll post a video tomorrow when I fit the motor.  The face screen shows the effect of old plastic - it absorbs moisture and forms bubbles when heated. I'm looking for clear plastic tubes for the back pack. They don't hold batteries, they're cosmetic. I'll look for some better oxygen pipes (Why does a robot need oxygen?) but for now I'm using tube from a redundant 3D printer. 

I'm trying to animate the screen with motion taken from the motor. One benefit of slow moving motors is that they produce tons of torque and should be able to push various levers with ease. They don't half nip if you trap your fingers. I don't want to add more batteries so I'm limited to 3 volts. I'm enjoying the project and have a couple of rack and pinion mechanisms that should be very reliable. 

Perhaps a Winky style meter?  Or a swinging gun?  Suggestions welcomed. Sadly I can't get motion into that antenna, but I can get a light in the helmet. Fortunately I have plenty of time!

I will make a few of these and the Mekkano Robots once the crisis is over. At the moment it's difficult to get material for bulk production.

IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

Brian, could you add a back lit area like on the Mighty 8 robot? or maybe a led light effect-I think the robot looks great just like it is now though, Anything else is just extra icing on the cake!!!  I am thinking of the backlit Kaliedoscope dial on the mighty 8-that would look AWESOME !!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• RoboDerby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a couple of videos of the first print. There's plenty more to do with that chest.

You can't beat noisy ratchets!

This is wonderful Brian! I do love the noisy ratchets as well. They provide a perfectly mechanical sound effect. Ratchets aside, this is a gorgeous build Brian. Well done! What did you use for the clear screen?

Or maybe interlocking spinning gears like on the Horikawa Engine robot(I personally like the lighted Kaleidoscope (Mighty 8 robot) effect idea better) though ! That would look SO great !

If you overdo it, specially the chest area, it loses the special current charm of soviet design and the spirit of the original era.

Yes, the head is a bit small. I've increased its size.

I'm using this design as a way of working out some different chest mechanisms for future projects - meters, guns, pistons, spinning gears etc. They won't necessarily appear on the final build. It's easy to take this basic shape and experiment. If I get something I like I can drop it onto a new project without starting from scratch. 

Here's a meter design. 

Here's a piston version. Sorry about the lighting but the sun came out! The plastic colours are also far brighter than I usually like. I'm using up old rolls of filament.

(I've moved this topic to the 3D printing category, leaving Brady's original post on the Soviet prototype in the Robot Talk section. )

I know that a few of you would prefer something Soviet in the chest and I may have succumb to the pressure. That usually means a geometric design with the odd moving disk. 

Here's a gun version.