Soviet Robot Prototype 3D Build

Brian..

Tinplate a fantastic discovery and absolutely perfect for a Brian build. 

Looking forward to seeing it as a working 3d model.

BTW this image of a Russian tinplate robot spaceman keeps popping up in my searches. I don't remember seeing it before so Tinplate I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

images (1).jpeg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• RoboDerby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

Brian, any videos of this guy walking and doing its thing? I had almost forgotten about this one--Its great !!!! (if you are making them to sell please sign me up!😀)-Rich   Is this the project you were talking about?😍

It's still a work in progress. I haven't finished the front panel yet, but here are a couple of views. I'll post a video tomorrow when I fit the motor.  The face screen shows the effect of old plastic - it absorbs moisture and forms bubbles when heated. I'm looking for clear plastic tubes for the back pack. They don't hold batteries, they're cosmetic. I'll look for some better oxygen pipes (Why does a robot need oxygen?) but for now I'm using tube from a redundant 3D printer. 

I'm trying to animate the screen with motion taken from the motor. One benefit of slow moving motors is that they produce tons of torque and should be able to push various levers with ease. They don't half nip if you trap your fingers. I don't want to add more batteries so I'm limited to 3 volts. I'm enjoying the project and have a couple of rack and pinion mechanisms that should be very reliable. 

Perhaps a Winky style meter?  Or a swinging gun?  Suggestions welcomed. Sadly I can't get motion into that antenna, but I can get a light in the helmet. Fortunately I have plenty of time!

I will make a few of these and the Mekkano Robots once the crisis is over. At the moment it's difficult to get material for bulk production.

IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

Brian, this is a great subject, a brilliant rendition so far and one that I would not want to miss adding to my Hayes shelf should you make a few for sale. Please include me on the list for this one as well. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Brilliant robot. I thought the white circle in the chest was a clock-face for a moment. Maybe instead of oxygen being pumped through the pipes its coolant in the backpack.