Jupitor 2 Radar Robot. 3d printed linear-shuffle walking.

robothut

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• 6Stelab9

• Brian..

• Roboto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now take two 2 inch long 6-32 screws "or in the land of metric find some thread stock and nuts" and screw them into the back motor mount screw holes. There are holes in the body to pass a screw driver in to do this. These screws will be the mechanical link that moves the arm levers when the body turns.

DSC06212.jpg

DSC06213.jpg

Here you can see the gear motor I used to mechanize the Radar screen effect. It is screwed in place with two 6-32 screws, they will self tap .

DSC06214.jpg

To make the body twist back and forth when the robot walks you must glue in a body turn linkage part. This part glues to the lower inside front of the body. It will contact the legs as they move forward and make the body turn with each leg stride.

DSC06209.jpg

DSC06210.jpg

DSC06211.jpg

BodyTurnLink.stl

There is a Head neck lever part that I should have talked about before putting the body on as it is easier to glue in place at that time. The point of the Head Link is to keep the head facing forward even when the body is twisting. This was just something that I thought I would like and not required. The part glues to the back of the motor frame and stick up. It till Key into a slot in the head assembly later.

DSC06203.jpg

DSC06204.jpg

NeckLever1.stl

Now print the body top and neck. They are 2 parts that glued together. You could print them as 1 part but then you would have to use supports when printing and that takes more time and plastic and then you have to remove the supports and that takes time and wastes plastic. So I print them as 2 parts and save time and plastic.

DSC06223.jpg

DSC06224.jpg

NeckSmooth.stl ShoulderTop1.stl

Now print the head Lock trim and Link Lock. The Lock trim will be glued in place to hold the head on to the neck but allow the head to  freely turn. The Link Lock will be glued in place next and it is what keys on to the head linkage part we glued to the motor mount, to keep the head facing forward even when the body is turning.

DSC06227.jpg

DSC06228.jpg

DSC06229.jpg

Head5LinkLock.stl NeckLockTrim.stl

Print the eyes / nose, the mouth and the ears. The ears print in 2 parts and get glued together. You can paint the parts or print them to color before gluing them into the head. The head gets screwed on to the body with two #2 screws on both side of the body.

DSC06230.jpg

DSC06231.jpg

DSC06232.jpg

Ear.stl EyeNose.stl Head5Mouth.stl

There are two parts to print for the radar unit. The back part is screwed to the gear motor and rotates. It is a single file that I print in two colors. The first 1mm I print in white the  raised parts I print in black. The front part gets glued to the body and I print it in to colors as well. The first 1mm I print in black then the top bit I print in silver. LEDs should be placed on the inside back wall of the radar unit for light. 

RadarBackArt.stl RadarFront3.stl

DSC06258.jpg

Interesting video. What was the interest in making  a dual linkage design as it was more complicated? Is it because tin made robot could use this method?