Jupitor 2 Radar Robot. 3d printed linear-shuffle walking.

robothut

I wanted to make a 3d printed version of the radar screen used on the Lost in space Jupiter 2 ship and I wanted to do a linear shuffle walking robot with twisting body action, moving arms and sound effects.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• 6Stelab9

• Brian..

• Roboto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow John!! Both variations are quite wonderful. The wacky color scheme goes perfectly with the cyclops head and that light effect in the driver cockpit is fantastic. As for your second version, this is one of my favorite designs to date in regards to aesthetics. This guy looks like he would fit in perfectly with the Cragstan plastics like Zero of Space and Mr. Lem. Also reminds me of the a Mortoys Robbie. Great design and color choice on that one.

John, both robots are great. I especially like the cyclops and love the actions and sound. As you said the color needs to be balanced in the cyclops. One color blue where the blues are, and the feet that blue or same orange as head. Will you be making some to sell?

Did you use original ears from the star fighter robot for your first one ( which can be seen as a variation)? The cyclop is really cool with the light effect and sound. They are both cool.

I can not get logged into Thing-I-verse to share the STL files so I will post build pictures and STL files here unless Brain says not too. Then I will remove them.

Start by printing the Feet / Legs. There is a Left and right files for the Feet/legs. Both assembled foot / legs units are the same in that there is no difference between left and right. There are 2 ratchet wheels per foot. They are all the same and can be installed in any direction. I used 4 nails with the heads and pointed tips snipped off as axles.

DSC06192.jpg

DSC06193.jpg

DSC06194.jpg

FootLegLeft2.stl FootLegRight2.stl RatchetWheel.stl

Print the motor walk cams and place the TT motor shafts. Now insert the TT gear motor. You can use the fast TT gearmotor 1:48 or the slower 1:120. The 1:48 works great on a 3volt system "2 AA batteries" the 1:120 is what I used on a 4.5 volt system "3 AA batteries". To hold the motors in place you can use two 6-32 screws, they will self tap into the motor frames. In the land of metric I am sure you find something to fit even a longer 3mm screw with a nut on one side will work.

DSC06199.jpg

DSC06200.jpg

WalkCam1.stl

Here are pictures of the body with the battery holder glued in place, the power switch screwed in and the body and body lock ring.

DSC06201.jpg

DSC06202.jpg

DSC06203.jpg

DSC06204.jpg

DSC06205.jpg

DSC06206.jpg

DSC06207.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

Print the Left and Right Arms. The claws are printed in 2 parts and glued together, then glued to the arms. There are arm linkage parts as well that will be used to hold the arms to the body in a way that they can freely move and be moved by a mechanical connection with 2 screws.

ArmLeft.stl ArmLever.stl ArmRight.stl Claw.stl