Marx Logo Marked Swoppet Spacemen

space.trucks

Maybe arriving late to this party as usual, but while pondering one of my Swoppet spacemen I realized his equipment pack sported a Marx Toys logo, something which had slipped attention previously. The spaceman himself is not marked.

01IMG_9489.JPG

A rule of thumb I had picked up is that Marx made swoppet spacemen are distinguished by having semi-painted pod feet rather than Cherilea stands, cast in a vinyl which is either stiff or flexible, and painted weapon detailing and rubber cast equipment packs. Copies have equipment packs cast in plastic without painted features and the figures cast in either stiff or "army man" type plastic.

02IMG_9488.JPG

03IMG_9487.JPG

MADE IN HONG KONG / MARX TOYS

04IMG_9629.JPG

Painted equipment pack in rubber which is still presumed to be by Marx, but marked "Made In Hong Kong" with no Marx logo. Did they simply stop marking their packs at some point?

05IMG_9628.JPG

06IMG_9631.JPG

Another presumed Marx figure with painted rubber equipment pack only marked Made In Hong Kong. There are others which share those attributes but have no markings anywhere.

07IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

So I rifled through the 36 loose swoppet spacemen I have and four of them have Marx logos on their equipment packs. Six have "Made In Hong Kong" markings on either their pack or a leg. The others including the Cherilea made examples have no markings anywhere.

IMG_9639.JPG

IMG_9647.JPG

IMG_9669.JPG

Left: Equipment pack with Marx logo.

Right: Equipment pack with Made In Hong Kong.

Helmet styles match. Both have painted equipment packs and the semi-painted feet. Other than the change in markings (and plastic colors) they are visually identical, and I am still of the opinion that the blue guy is Marx as well.

IMG_9670.JPG

None of the figures with logo marked backpacks have that style of helmet. Backpack styles vary from figure to figure including the four which are logo marked.

IMG_9671.JPG

Right: Equipment pack with no markings.

IMG_9673.JPG

xIMG_9648.JPG

The four figures with logo marked packs, all of which appear to have the same helmet design as well. I'm also aware that since the logo marked packs are interchangeable & the figures purchased loose/used there's no way to guarantee that these four packs shipped connected to these four figures. Or any of the others for that matter. I do have six sealed figures in packages either marked Made In Hong Kong (cake topper set) or Made in China (flying saucer set) which have no markings anywhere & lack the painted details.