Painting Recast MPC Five Inch Spacemen

space.trucks

Stay Home project. All I have are acrylics, thinking of a clear-coat method if they end up looking right. I like that blue, the copper and the red one. Was thinking of the vintage hard plastic metallic colors when mixing them. The paints are liquid acrylics by Golden's in iridescent silver, iridescent copper light, and iridescent pearl mixed with quinocridone red and manganese blue hue. One was an experiment with iridescent pearl + a primary green medium over silver which was not successful. Scrubbed clean under a hot faucet in a couple minutes & the others can be as well. Will polish him off with an old toothbrush and start over.

IMG_8861.jpg.2101a7c704d448208066decd99f79be8.jpg wh

IMG_8867.jpg.443475cdb599910f26fbccdd16dd20cc.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg.6a13d628a52dccfae5b00c9720fd680b.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg.f1f11c1ad9d4e3997c16e60f7ff34939.jpg

IMG_8870.jpg.88777ad42463b4a9be57bc430ddc7979.jpg

Just to show how the paints don't stain whatever the heck plastic that is. Rubs right off with your thumb which is helpful in this case.

IMG_8871.jpg.f3bc8d3fc1bac209af3bff742ad2f89f.jpg

His blue inspired by a Thomas figure with broken gun hand I fitted with a pirate's hook.

JSOC0124.jpg.8c6fe1886cb9bc79b3596e0d87e0aacb.jpg

Got a decent green using Golden's liquid "Green Gold Hue" and the Iridescent Pearl. It's not a classic Archer shade but has the look of a foil suit. I want to see one in orange too. Am about to re-do all their boots, the black and white acrylics just peel off and I've found that the iridescent copper adheres to the plastic fairly well so I'll try using it as a primer layer. Faces get done last & am thinking about trying to make helmet face plates with their liquid Clear Tar Gel which dries to a very glassy flat layer which can be peeled up, trimmed to size and fitted in place.

01IMG_8906.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8900.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8902.JPG

IMG_8903.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

I have three other recast figures yet untouched + a pair of duplicate vintage MPC figures in somewhat rough condition which can be experimented on as well. Also making three paintings of scifi scenes to serve as "backdrops" for shadowbox constructions with sculpted terrain (made of a canned crack sealer material called Great Stuff) into which some of the figures will be fitted. At some point I will order actual plastic modeling paints but have a connection to Golden Artist Color's Foundation for the Arts and they are loving this.

Looks good with the metallics.  As you might know I have a degree in commercial art and advertising.  As an avocation I have 40 years experience in antique advertising restoration.  Eagle and I and Jim Knower, have collaborated on numerous projects. I usually Mix gold or silver with opaque airbrush colors to get the exact metallic I need for the project. I use airbrush colors to paint with the airbrush or by brush.  Matte, satin or gloss clear Krylon is used to seal the painting work or restoration. Also If I want a slightly different finish after painting  sometimes I use  waterbase satin or gloss clear Polycrylic  which dries very quickly.  On flat surfaces after coats of Polycrylic I often use OOOO steel wool and then buff it to get an aged patina look. The figures have a tendency to look more realistic if they have a satin or flat appearance.

Dux space patrol car 006.jpg

Dux space patrol car 020.jpg

Dux space patrol car 030.jpg

Dux space patrol car 029.jpg

space whale 001.jpg

space whale 007A.jpg

space whale 012A.jpg

The results on that car is amazing! Superb work. The other thing totally rules whatever the heck it is.  👍🏼

You never heard of the space whale? Probably the oddest space toy ever made. He moves like he's eating space krill.

space whale 021A.jpg

Will call this one "Mint On Card". Markup done in like ten minutes waiting for supper, so. It's an experiment, but something I've wanted to see since last fall.

IMG_9174.JPG

I like your price, the reference to Hong Kong, the art and most of all , you did a great job with the painting.

Thanks much!! An idea that came after is a now defunct shady sounding NYC area shelter company they were made in Hong Kong for with a January 1967 date codd. Trying to work detailing. I've never had the kind of hand needed for model painting even when I made models so I'm keeping it minimal until the confidence level goes up.

IMG_9289.JPG

IMG_9290.JPG

You can see how the Carbon Black I like is already peeling off his hands. I think the metallic colored paints used to mix the suit colors stick better to the plastic cos their pigments have a granular base which creates the reflective properties. The straight-up acrylics are just dyed petroleum on petroleum & slip right off.

IMG_9291.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG

He's the favorite. I'd like to see more of that blue too.

IMG_9293.JPG

IMG_9294.JPG

xIMG_9288.JPG

I'm also eyeing a rather large box of the things that would come in at about a dollar a head, just to paint. We have a seasonal local arts/crafts vendor's event in November which I'm somewhat obliged to take part in but hate showing actual paintings at: wrong crew. But I could see these selling as individuals ziplock bagged with a hand painted "header card" and a disc shaped stand with sculpted terrain they clip onto (most are top heavy). Have an executive set or two in painted packaging like the .99 cent mockup for showy presence and peddle the singles off a folding table.

IMG_0003.JPG.01a0d55fa1d5c54612bb002e08f1b61f.JPG

Foil Suit Crew Update. Newest is the one in front of the Thunderbirds packet whose mix turned out more Mother of Pearl than tinfoil.Scored my crateful so, will need more of that Iridescent Copper (Light) as it adheres best to the plastic & finer detailing brushes.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0513a.jpg.e282e921552b0fb171c216a696ebcc3b.jpg

Got my crate full and here's the first group made up of the Broken Gun Squad of examples with broken guns. Plus some others. Currently giving them patches of moon terrain using Golden's Crackle Paste. If used right it looks like the ground is all cracked.

IMG_0475.jpg.60313d5f086aafd7337815ea3ffce27a.jpg

The big Planetoid Scene dance number from ALIEN: THE MUSICAL

IMG_0488.jpg.017079b46d811252b99d278af3ab806f.jpg

IMG_0512.JPG.82e10659dea9cf747f69abf992fbe04d.JPG