Buck Rogers Mekkano Robot

Brian..

I started work on this ages ago and now that I've time on my hands I finished it. This is the Britains/Dille robot, or Mekkano Robot from Buck Rogers. 

I always wondered why it had such odd arms, long and clenched. Then Phil's posting of the Buck Rogers comic strips made it clear. This is a mad axeman of a robot. It stands 9 inches tall, extending to over a foot when the hammer is raised. At the moment it's not motorised. When you tilt the body backward the hammer is raised, pushing the body forward makes the hammer fall. I might animate it with a little servo motor, or possibly an old style external crank. I like them simple.  The arms have wire armatures to prevent breakage - PLA is just too brittle to take constant hammering. 

The design is based mainly on the Dille/Britains lead version, though I've also printed a head that's more in keeping with the comic strip version. There's a weapons armory attached to his back so he can choose hammer, axe or baseball bat. 

Brit 1.JPG

Brit 2.JPG

351793401_mekkanoman1.jpg.8c2d3326715f9bbd5c502997c6400150.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• RoboDerby

• Ranger

• Tinplate6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Paul, no excuses now. You've plenty of time.

I've discovered that this will need a hefty counterweight in the base if it's to swing gracefully. There's a simple cam and lever that lift the arms as the body moves but a little servo would struggle to pull the weight in its current unbalanced state. I could put the servo inside the body but that would require fiddly wiring and special springs. As I say, I'm keeping it simple. 

I think simplicity is the key on this type of robot Brian. That would look great though with a shorter body, some proper legs and a walking action. Hmm, and lit eyes!  Just sent you an email. 🍻 

27 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

My money's on the psycho with the hammer. 

Not so sure, Brian, the Buck Rogers Martian looks mean and could have super powers.

Fantastic Brian!! Great to see a new Hayes build! I’ve been working on a pug mod myself that I think is going to turn out nicely. Hope to share it soon enough.

Brian...I love it! I want to be the first in line if you decide to sell a few of these, thanks for your persistence.

In an attempt to jump ahead of John in the use of technology I have decided to use a state-of-the-art mechanism to actuate the axe-wielding action.

I will be using a neurological system coupled to a series of biological relays using metacarpophalangeal, proximal interphalangealand a distal interphalangeal components. I have the parts and am just finalising the build.  

John, you've finally met your match!