Coronavirus And Collecting

Brian..

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

UK is now in lockdown

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Yes, we've just been placed in total shutdown.

Wishing you all the best in the U.K. Here is hoping that these actions will mean a faster recovery. Things are still kind of unfolding here in the US. Though I expect that we could end up in a similar situation. In regards to the shutdown of film/tv production, I’d guess it might be a minimum of 6 weeks before we see work again if not longer. Not being one to stand idle when my livelihood is on the line, it looks like I will be trying to get a job at a grocery store or the like. This despite my reluctance to put myself at risk. I’m afraid I have little choice. I most sincerely hope that all my friends here in the Drome make it through these events safely and hopefully not too worse for wear. Considering all that is going on, I’d like to say thank you once again to Brian for Alphadrome, which is proving to be a welcome distraction from the madness we are all facing.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoboDerby

• Brian..

• Fineas J. Whoopie

• Ranger

Say COVID captives, I had a couple ideas for some inner group activities that might offer some distraction from world events while helping us get to better know our fellow Dromers. At very least, even if my ideas don’t hit the mark, perhaps others might be inspired to suggest some other ideas. I know that at least a few of us have enjoyed escaping off to the Robot Hut with John for his video tours. Are there other ways that we can help keep each other’s spirits up?

Some of the members here might be doing just fine. Others maybe have some anxiety over what their futures hold and some might already be getting hammered by the effects of this virus and the troubles that it continues to cause. 

So I think it is at least worth making some suggestions on what activities we can coordinate to try and lighten our worries.

Anywho, here are the links to the two ideas that I have had so far.

http://alphadrome.net/forums/topic/23086-half-baked-quarantine-idea-number-two/

I think it inevitable that the US, and all countries, will go into similar lockdown in a week or so. If not, the infection figures will be truly awful. Italy is now showing signs of turning the tide, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Meanwhile I'm all in favour of something to occupy our thoughts. 

39 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

I think it inevitable that the US, and all countries, will go into similar lockdown in a week or so

I hope for our sake that you are correct. I just read a rather disturbing article on RollingStone.com that suggests that our ( insert profanity of your choice) President Trump might be planning to allow businesses to reopen in April to try and boost the economy regardless of the increase in infections this is likely to cause. I’m not sure how reliable the source is, but our Commander and Chief is not to be trusted. Only time will tell. So much has yet to be determined here still.

This is more "ebay and coronavirus" but ...

Just got a notification of some policy changes at ebay. They are rightfully pulling anything that makes unfounded claims against Covid-19 and pulling any listing that they see as price gouging on virus protection supplies. Out of curiosity (this brings to mind several practical questions and I was very curious as to how ebay was handling these issues) I did a search on ebay for Clorox wipes as just one example product. When single canisters came up at $60 and $70 a piece I thought these were gouging situations being missed by ebay. Then I realized why these listings are still live. Because they are auctions bid up to $60 or $70. Ebay can't accuse anyone of gouging if they listed the item at the regular going rate to start and bidders bid it up to gouge prices. A search of completed items shows the most paid in an auction situation for Clorox wipes was $475 for 5 canisters. The same 5 pack at Costco I'm pretty sure would'nt be more than $20 or $25, probably less.

Anyway, I find this sort of thing interesting from an 'ebayer" point of view. Lot's of other implications as well but probably best that I don't go into them here.

3 hours ago, Fineas J. Whoopie said:

This is more "ebay and coronavirus" but ...

Just got a notification of some policy changes at ebay. They are rightfully pulling anything that makes unfounded claims against Covid-19 and pulling any listing that they see as price gouging on virus protection supplies. Out of curiosity (this brings to mind several practical questions and I was very curious as to how ebay was handling these issues) I did a search on ebay for Clorox wipes as just one example product. When single canisters came up at $60 and $70 a piece I thought these were gouging situations being missed by ebay. Then I realized why these listings are still live. Because they are auctions bid up to $60 or $70. Ebay can't accuse anyone of gouging if they listed the item at the regular going rate to start and bidders bid it up to gouge prices. A search of completed items shows the most paid in an auction situation for Clorox wipes was $475 for 5 canisters. The same 5 pack at Costco I'm pretty sure would'nt be more than $20 or $25, probably less.

Anyway, I find this sort of thing interesting from an 'ebayer" point of view. Lot's of other implications as well but probably best that I don't go into them here.

Wow! I personally am waiting on a toy that because it is incomplete, I won for WELL below the price of a complete example. I won the auction on Friday and so far only the label is printed, but nothing has shipped. I understand that some folks may deem a trip to the post office not worth the risk currently. But then perhaps the seller should have taken their auctions down. 

It may just be that they haven’t had an opportunity to ship. But I’m also wondering if COVID might just be a convenient excuse not to ship an item that the seller had hoped to get a larger amount for in hopes that I might cancel the sale. Though I’m not in a rush. So I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they get it out to me this week. 

I've got a couple of model parts coming from ebay, both last week and say shipped but they don't seem to have moved anywhere.  Looks like everything like that is simply frozen at the moment.

Just saw the graphs for countries currently. We are on the exact curve of Spain and Italy.  WHO says U.S. will be the new epicenter if we do not go on a national stay at home policy like other countries have taken.  Texas, Florida and other conservative  states will be damn sorry next month. This president in response wants to get everyone together to pray together at Easter.   Anything to move the stock market and the economy back for November.  This idiot is insane. Doesn't anyone pay attention to the escalating numbers?

31 minutes ago, robothut said:

Well at least its spring time right. Picture of my spring time taken this morning.

Lovely photo, John, I reckon you might not be so pleased, snow scenes are OK but not in late March 

Just talked with Marco and he's the only one in his family who's not sick. Here's wishing you all the best, Marco.

Thoughts also go to our fellow collectors in Italy and Spain who are going through the bad times as I write.