Half baked (Quarantine idea number two)

RoboDerby

Alright gang, idea number two still needs some fleshing out. But here are my initial thoughts on a second activity that we can do within the group while the chaos of COVID wreaks havoc on the world at large.

So, if there was ever even the slightest chance of Botstock 2020, I’m guessing now that the batteries in that prospect have been thoroughly corroded by present circumstances.

For me personally, as someone who is still new to the group, I find this disappointing as it would be nice I think to meet in person some of the new friends that I have made since taking up the hobby.

As a result, the following has occurred to me. There are a few different options here. First, perhaps we could do some form of member interviews. Of course only members who would be comfortable with talking about themselves and their collections would get the spotlight. Which I understand might not be too many. But it is worth putting the idea out there at least.  I would be willing to conduct the interviews personally. But it might be better if someone more experienced and knowledgeable took the helm. Maybe I could convince dratomic to conduct the interviews. He certainly has experience doing interviews and I imagine at least some of you have at least met him personally and might be more comfortable talking to him. 

A similar result might come from scheduled live Q and A’s here on the Drome. Anyone interested in sharing could be given a date and time which would be announced beforehand, and members could ask them questions.

For example:

what was your first robot? 

how long have you been collecting and what inspired you to take up the hobby?

What interests do you have outside the hobby?

etc...

Another approach would be simply for members to write short bios about themselves and post them into a collaborative “get to know your fellow Dromers” thread.

My last variation for this activity would be simply to post an interview question each day and allow members to choose whether or not to answer the question in the thread.

I understand that some of us might be more private than others and I am respectful of that. But if anyone else thinks any of this might be enjoyable, please reply with your thoughts.

I'm in for this one... because the internet/netflix/.... doesn't have a lot more to offer for me at this point.

So reading about fellow collectors would be a great distraction for me!

Back in the 70s I was collecting something else. Then late 1970s I started collected Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers which first got me interested in scifi in the 50s.  I documented my collecting in categories in a loose leaf binder by date, item and price paid. When checking I was surprised to see my first documented robot was old stock from a Bon Ton store in early 1981  at a large mall in Lancaster PA. Lancaster(red rose)  and York, white rose(my home) are sister cities of  Great Britain.  The robot I bought for $5.00, I should have bought all of the ones on the shelf, but didn't. The robot is the Video Robot , MIB, which of course I still have in the same condition.

Also my first space toy  a few weeks earlier in 1981 was the Chinese Space Boat for about $5.00  from a small toy store in Gettysburg, PA.  The first wave of Chinese toys were about 10 years after the 60s era from Japan, etc.

1-P1010001-006.JPG

1-P1010001-005.JPG

Well...I won't be able to take vacation until Mid Summer or so....Started a new job last month.

No quarantines there that's for sure.

I use to reside in Texas ~ 38 years, but had to move to N.Y.   4 months ago to take care of my older relatives.

My Aunt is stabilized on her health....I do want to meet some Alphadrome folks some where....Not sure where most  reside, 

Maybe rotate meet ups between West Coast, East Coast..?

I don't have as many robots as most here, my collection are Zeroids, Daleks, maybe 20 tiny Robot figures, ( 1970s, 1980s, wind up stuff )

recent Walmart Robbie, Cheif Robotman re-print off ebay ( I need to assemble some day)

so I can't make a video yet.

My first robot was a silver Attacking Martian I got around 1965. I loved this robot and it was a huge surprise that Christmas. 

The following year I got the Remco Lost in Space robot and my love affair for robots began. I got a few more for Christmas the following years (Atomic Robot, Zeroid Zyrek…) and as I got older I would pick up a robot here or there. Before I knew it, I had a small collection, so why not take it to the extreme. I started picking up robots whenever I saw them. My collection is nothing like most members here, but it's big enough. A lot of them are repros, but I have a few classics like my string of Remco LIS robots, four Roberts, an Electric Robot and son, a silver, gold, brown and medallion Attacking Martians, Mars King and a few others. I still pick up a robot now and then but it seems like the pickin's are getting scarce these days, but I am always oon the lookout for more, especially the Ding a Lings to put  a rare piece in my collection of them. Here's to more robots.

Attacking Martian.jpg

2.jpg

When I was 6 years old I got a Remco Rudy the robot for my birthday and I took it everywhere with me and finally just wore it out-Flash forward 50 years and I saw a non working wreck of a Rudy the robot on ebay-I bought it for 30 dollars and took it all apart, cleaned it up and got it running again!  That was my reintroduction to Vintage robot collecting(and Restoration !!!) and I have been bat s*it crazy with it ever since!!! I now have around 150 robots(my wife reminds me!) and joining Alphadrome went along way to enhancing my interest--A great group of people !!!😀

Picked up a few things in '76 then really started in 1977 when I found a Roto-Robot at Goodwill for 25c.  in good shape, dropped him as I was leaving the store and broke his legs off.  I used a soldering iron to put his wires back on and re-mold his legs and got him working again but he looked like hell.  

Began looking in corner stores where I found many China tin toys of the time and at $1 or 2 each were hard to pass up.  Started picking up 'new' robots in department stores after I'd seen a skid of tin saucers for sale at $3.99 each, not realizing they were older tin toys they were selling off just as the safety police began limiting tin toys.  Saw the saucers at lunchtime and decided to go back after work to buy one, they were gone.  That got me thinking for sure.  Next was the Science Shop in Toronto who was at that time importing the last of the actual tin/plastic robots being produced and picked up a few there over a couple of years.  They had a vintage Mechanized in their window covered in 10 years of dust, I offered them $500 for it but they wouldn't sell.

Still was able to pick up the odd old smaller 'bot at antique stores now and then and at that point I couldn't find much until checking out the Toronto Toy Show in November 1983 where I walked off with about 5 or 6 vintage boxed NOS robots, now I was on a roll.  Went to 2 annual shows after that then Laurie and I bought a house, that took all our funds for some time and didn't add much until finding Alphadrome around 2004.  Next came the Botstocks where Kelly and I would come home with a car-full of vintage 'bots from the wonderful members and dealers we met there and began networking with other members to add new items to the shelves.  

The members here were wonderful iwith welcoming Kelly (*Altaira) as an 8 year old collector and had many contributors to her shelves in her early days here from members and dealers, we will never forget that in particular. 

Since moving out this past month (without her space toys) she had me assure her I'll exercise her 'bots and rotate their wheels whenever I can to keep them well, Laurie, Kelly and I will never forget the generosity from each who helped to get her start here...Oz, ROBOTHUNTER, John Rigg, Phil Redman and Brian Hayes among others who contributed to our shelves in various ways over the years.  Whenever we look at a 'bot we always remember where and who it came from.

These pics are from 1980 and '81 a few years after these shelves had begun.  Still have just about everything or got it back thanks to the Alphadromers.

And as Phil did, I kept a running written record of all purchases, $ and dates etc. which I still have today.

Winding things down greatly now, done what I set out to do.

shelf1980.jpg

shelf.jpg

Science Shop 3.jpg