Archimedes Explorer "screw drive" 3d printed robot tank.

robothut

So the screw drive tank project has been in the works for some time now. Making a toy that can not be played with on hard surfaces "since the screw drive units can not bite into anything" did not seem like a great idea, but I thought well many people have rugs and at some point winter will be over and then you can play with it out side in the dirt, or sand or even shallow mud. So the Archimedes Explorer robot tank was born. 3d printed and right now controlled with the RC guts from a toy from Walmart. The first version was the robot cockpit on top design. I decided that a body for the tank would look good if I copied a diesel locomotive or slave unit. Then it hit me to make the top of the body from R2 D2 body parts. The mini robot in the covered cockpit is from my 3d printed wind up robot project in the past. That little robot pushed the FDM printing to max as it is so small an detailed.

DSC06126.jpg

DSC06127.jpg

DSC06128.jpg

DSC06129.jpg

DSC06130.jpg

DSC06131.jpg

DSC06132.jpg

DSC06133.jpg

DSC06135.jpg

Type 2 of the design was to move the robot cockpit to the front and add a lit and rotating effect to the rear. All under 40mm domes. 2 TT gear motors are used to drive the screw units.

I printed the parts in what ever color plastic was handy then painted the parts in a gun metal color.

DSC06140.jpg

DSC06141.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

DSC06144.jpg

DSC06146.jpg

DSC06147.jpg

very nice, John!   
I can't recall for certain, but it seems like when my son was young, he had a similar r/c toy that we would run in our ponds...?  

I found it - it was a Tyco Terrain Twister.   Quite a bit of fun.   I always wanted to try and fish with it.

The snowy landscape is a great stage set for the toys. I like their design and the way you used the R2D2 Body parts. My favorite is the yellow one and the space command stickers make them up to date space toys (even if i am not fond of space militarism).