PLASCO RAY?

MrRayGun

Hey Space cadets!

This interesting specimen is branded on the right side with MADE IN THE USA with A PLASCO TOY logo and PLASCO RAY U.S.A. on the right.

Other than that, does anyone have any other info such as the date of manufacturer and availability  or any other info about PLASCO as a company or even what the gun does? I'm suspecting it's a rubber band gun of some sort but the mechanism is somewhat enigmatic.

Thoughts?

plasco ray usa DROME.jpg

I don't know the gun, but Plasco were active in the 1950s and well into the 1970s - among other things they made record players, dolls houses and dolls' house furniture..  The shape of the gun suggests it's a launch platform for planes or such like. 

That’s an excellent call, some kind of launcher makes more sense than just a rubber band gun. 

No info as yet online as far as the Plastic Art Toy Company, beyond the doll house stuff you mentioned.  

I wonder if they were acquired by another company or just went out of business....

Looking for this particular toy has proved to be very frustrating. You would think that with all the specific search words present, it would be easy to find something, anything about this piece, but no luck. 

This Google search result

338109694_plascolisting.JPG.e8e8a623c3563a53c572c971117f3108.JPG

yields a "File Not Found" page.

Can this piece be that rare?

I seem to remember posting a picture of this piece here years ago and the launch platform theory was suggested then. I don't remember if much else was determined. If a search for Plasco doesn't bring up that old post then we didn't even know the maker back then.

The grip sort of reminds me of this Maks squirt gun. 

Maks_no_231.jpg

Based on the design, my guess is that one large rubber band was hooked into the opening at the end of the rail. A plane/jet was slid onto the rail; with one end hooked into the rubber band, the plane was slid back and locked behind the moveable front stop. When the trigger is pulled, the front stop dropped, allowing the plane to fly off the rail into space.