How far is old London food from the rest of the World

Sparkrobot

Warning if you've never tasted it you might not want to look.

One of the oldest London meals is Pie mash liquor and stewed eels.

I am really qualified to post this as I worked alongside my nan in one of these shops as a kid even preparing Live eels in those days just like you will see in the link.

If you wandered into one of these restaurants that could be 100 years old and if you expect to buy any other food you just couldn't.

They all only serve a recipe that's over 200 years old.

I don't think they exist out side of London and sadly

( for me anyway ) few and far between with probably only a handful spread over the four corners of London.

Here you are a link.

Try not to throw up but trust me it's delicious and you don't have to have the eels.😕🤔😋

John believe it or not I was brought up on the food I showed in the video.

The stewed eels are an acquired taste and as I said you don't have to have them with the pie mash and liquor although once tried they are nice you do have to add a lot of spicy vinegar and pepper and a bit of salt. You really don't see it outside of London.

Also in the seafood shops you get Jellied eels to be ate cold with pepper and vinegar.

Strange food to outsiders but I'm guessing all regions of the World have their own quirky delicacies.

1 hour ago, robothut said:

Ever see the film THE TIN DRUM.  There is some ell eating going on as well as other strange stuff.

I do remember that film and in particular this “eely” scene (warning pretty gross!)...

• 6 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 9:00 PM, Golddalek said:

Racer X would probably cater to something like that.

...haven't seen him in awhile, hope all is well with him.🧐

Eel is a delicacy around the world, Japanese Unagi a freshwater eel is one of my favorites, on my recent trip to the UK I sampled eel pie and loved it, no photos but will submit photos of broiled cow bones with toast and sea salt also braised cow tongue ( the MOST  tender meat that I have EVER eaten ) along with lamb kidneys and peas. Right now some of you are turning green but myself, I’m hungry!

Oh and don’t forget the snails🤣 from Paris

07BD16FF-1442-4BA7-9743-413C23C645F8.jpeg

F5B8640F-D91E-4AEA-9CC3-8A3E3E0892DD.jpeg

F292D442-32A9-4382-8612-D4261ABB39BE.jpeg

9EE450E1-6DFF-4B1E-8966-2F78825948ED.jpeg

Escargot rates right up there with Anchorage fresh King Crab legs.  Changed a 747 engine in alaska yrs ago..Awake 36 hrs to get the Job done..When we finished we were tired and starved..Hopped in a Taxi and ask to be taken to a great Seafood place in town..He took us to a place called the Tenderfoot. The Waiter approached with menu's..I told him just bring us a Dozen king crab each..His eyes lit up..I'll bring out one leg,,then you tell me how many you want...He brought out one on a pewter plate ...It was the size of a baseball bat.. I looked at him..I have never seen anything like that !!!!! He replies,,we don't ship out the good ones..We keep them at home ! 

King Crab.jpg

We were flying t 38,000 in another 747..I had just woke up from a nap..The rest of the crew was still sleeping. [Three autopilots engaged] As I stood up and stretched,,I noticed a body of water out of the captains window..It looked odd..I woke the crew and we all stretched our necks...The captain said ,,I know what it is..It was Price Williams sound and we were looking at the Exxon Valdez oil spill. It had happened 2 days before. The Captain called ATC and ask for a flight plan deviation..It was acknowledged and approved..We descended down into the sound at 2500 Ft and followed the slick all the way to the ship..It was Sureal seeing the shipping vessels looking up at the huge bird flying by..Off to our right were the Ice Fields of Glaciers breaking off into the sound...We maintained that Altitude for about 50 miles and then called for approach altitude into ANC.. Sorry,,that memory just popped to mind..I have photo's somewhere..

ExVal_vessel_2_26mar89.jpg